“As it was once all in news, About AC to DC current local train. It was like by January 2015 End, Central railway’s Thane to CST suburb rail route will be converted from old 1500 volt DC to 25000 volt AC bringing relief to 40 to 45 lac commuters with speed and other Benefits. On 5th February 2012 Mumbai’s local trains were switched from 1500 KV of direct current (DC) to 25000 KV alternate current (AC) system and complete western railway route between Churchgate and virar stations is now 100% switched on Alternate Current voltage system. Lets see the difference and advantage to millions of Mumbai commuters of Western Railway..”
Difference Between AC to DC Voltage
- (Direct Current) DC voltage system trains were running at speed of 75 to 80 km/hour.
- (Alternate Current) AC electric multiple unit local trains can run at speed of 100 km and more per hour.
- AC sends is 17 times current compared to DC trains. ALERT, its a sure touch to death ticket for those commuting on roof.
- AC trains are faster and smoother.
- DC trains runs on 1500 KV while AC takes 25000 KV.
Advantage of AC over DC Trains
- Local trains runs better and more faster consuming less current/voltage.
- With time saved, more 20 to 25 local trains can be introduced between Andheri Virar and Borivali route.
- Of course 25000 KV numbers more then 1500 KV DC voltage right ?
- Almost 15 minutes to be saved by non local trains who needed to change engines between those western railway routes.
- Reduction in maintenance cost and services as total local train substations will be 5 which was 25 before.
- Up to 30% of electricity power and energy will be saved which is huge when calculated over all running services of local trains in city.
- Traction of AC substation is more safer then the previous.
- DC Motor EMU (Electric Multiple Units) trains are totally out.
- Less pollution as less emission, Energy is regenerated and is a great advantage technically.
AC to DC Conversion Highlights
- One day 6 hours mega block and inconvenience to harbour railway and mail passenger trains is worth it forever.
- Limited special diesel engine trains will be available for commuters.
- Last DC train was run on saturday 4th February 2012 in Mumbai.
- 500 crores, total expense on conversion.
- About 800 western railway staff were working during conversion between Andheri and Virar.
- 2 Huge transformers of 30 MVA each at Mahalaxmi and Other 3 between Khar and Bandra which required for AC local trains were installed.