“2016, Mumbai road safety and to reduce the increased offences, Mumbai traffic police / RTO has put up strict penalties for listed traffic offences. The old and latest fines (Amount in Rs.) have huge difference along with the imprisonment, and the fear for those breaking road rules may pay fines and also go to jail for 2 to 3 years. Below are the strict rules laid down by traffic department of Mumbai. Also see updates as of May 2015 related to honking and January 2016 about introduced E-Challan system, a machine which used credit & debit card to collect fines..”
About Fines Challans One Must Know
Lately in 2016, i came across a nice information page by Daily Bhaskar about rights of a citizen and details about Officer level and restrictions, Fines / Penalties and Challans. Below is the same.
- When traffic police stopped for any reasons, The ‘constables’ on duty cannot seize your car or pull out the keys. They have no legal rights to do that.
- Arresting an offender and asking for PUC (Pollution Under Control) cannot be done by traffic constable, Neither they can arrest you.
- A police in traffic situation can only assist you. Fine collection is legally allowed to only Sub-Inspector and above designation.
- 4 Reasons for which your license can be seized which are Jumping Red Signal, SMS / Social activities anything with phone while driving, Caught in over loaded car, Drink Drive situation.
- Head constable can fine up to Rs.100 only, Officer of level ASI and SI can charge fines beyond Rs.100
- An officer without uniform cannot stop, charge or fine you.
- What original / Xerox documents to keep while driving : Driving License (Original), PUC (Original), Vehicle RC (Registration Copy Xerox), Insurance Certificate (Xerox).
- Helmet for 2 wheelers are exemption for sikh community person wearing a turban and a person with mastoid surgery.
- Spot Fine / Challans : You need to pay your fines on the spot. In case you don’t have money your driving license will be surrendered and upon paying fine in the given period will be issued again. But this can be a hectic situation consuming time and travel.
- Notice Fine / Challans : If a traffic offender in Mumbai manages to flee away, He will receive a notice challan to visit department within a month and pay required fine. If not done within period time, Challan will be forwarded to court for further proceedings.
- Court Challans : Penalty OR / AND imprisonment is what the offender may attract if caught for serious situations like Drink drive. Challan will be issued and penalty has to be paid inside court.
Mumbai Road Offences and Fines
|Road Traffic Offence||Old Fines and Penalties(Rs.)||Latest Amount(Rs.)|
|Driving Without Perfect Valid Driving License, All (2,3 and 4 Wheelers) Vehicles||Rs.300|
|Allowing Other Friend/Person to Drive Your Car Without Valid License.||Rs.300|
|Driving Without License and Other Required Documents like RC Book, Insurance etc||Rs.100|
|Driving 2 Wheeler with more then 1 Pillion rider (Applicable For Bikes etc)||Rs.100|
|Creating Obstruction For Traffic||Rs.100|
|Parking in No Parking Zone||Rs.100|
|Violating Traffic Signal and Driving Wrong Side of Road||Rs.100|
|Cutting Lanes and Driving in No-Entry Zone||Rs.100|
|Rash Driving using Musical Horn||Rs.500|
|Talking On Mobile Phones while Driving||Rs.100|
|One Handed Rash Driving and Caught||Rs.500|
|Disobeying Traffic Police Hand Signals||Rs.200|
|Giving False Information to Traffic Police||Rs.200|
|Charging Excess On Auto Meters (3 Wheelers Autos)||Rs.50|
|Driving with Learning License But Without ‘L’ Sign on Vehicle||Rs.100|
|Driving Without Helmet (Two Wheelers)||Rs.100|
|Reversing Vehicle Negligently||Rs.100|
|Not Using Safety Belts (For 4 Wheeler Vehicles Like Car etc)||Rs.100|
|Honking (Beeping Horn) in Silence Zone of Road||Rs.100 to Rs.500 (See Updates On Honking Rules Fines in Mumbai)|
|Vehicles with Dark Glasses||Rs.100|
|Improper Number Plate (All vehicles : Auto)||Rs.100 & Rs.50|
|Driving Above Allowed Speed Limits||Rs.200|
|Driving when unfit Phisically or Mentally.||Rs.100|
|Racing on Mumbai Roads Without Permissions||Rs.300|
|Alcohol Drunk (Drink and Drive), See also the below link for details on drink and drive panelties.||Rs.2000|
|Driving Through One Way Restricted Roads (All Vehicles : Autos)||Rs.100 : Rs.50|
|Taking U-Turn On Roads Restricted to (All Vehicles : Autos)||Rs.100 : Rs.50|
|Lane Cutting||Rs.100 : Rs.50|
|Driving Vehicle at High Speed (Excessive/Above Rules Limits)|
|First Time Offence||Rs.400||Rs.1000|
|Repeated||Rs.1000||Rs.2000 to 5000|
|Breaking / Jumping Traffic Signals|
|First Time Offence||Rs.100||Rs.500|
|Repeated||Rs.300||Rs.1000 to 1500|
|Driving Without Helmet or Seat Belt|
|Repeated Offence||Rs.300||Rs.1000 to 1550|
|Drink and Drive Fine (See Drink & Drive Penalties for details )
|First Time||Rs.2000 or Six Months Jail or BOTH||Rs.2000 to 5000 and/or Jail For 6 to 24 months (2 years).|
|Repeated Offence||Rs.3000 or 2 years jail||Rs.8000 to 10000 AND 3 to 4 years of Jail|
|Rough / Rash Or Negligent Driving|
|First Time Offence||Rs.1000 or 6 Month Jail or Both.||Rs.1000 and/or 6 Month Jail|
|Repeated||Rs.2000 or 2 years Jail or BOTH (If Offence repeated within 3 years of previous charges)||Rs.2000 to 5000 and / or 6 month Jail|
|On Call or Sms While Driving|
|Repeated||Rs.300||Rs.2000 to 5000|
Updates January 2015 : New rules for car parking along with rates per hour have been updated and pay park policies related have been listed. Complete details on same is available here.
According to Rules Of Regulations 1989 and Motor Vehicles Act 1988, Below are the listed ‘No Parking Rules’ (Offences) and all of them are charges Rs.100 as Penalty if broken. Request to always use pay parking location to avoid any offences and penalties. You might also like to see Offences and Penalties report 2008 to 2014.
- If you parked in a way which creates OBSTRUCTIONS.
- On Authorized taxi stands or within 15 Meter area of BEST bus stand.
- If not parked in correct manner.
- Parking on any flyover bridges or at any of the listed traffic islands.
- At locations with sign boards saying NO PARKING ZONE.
- Illegal parking is also when parked on footpath or at pedestrian crossing.
- In front of any residential or commercial building gates.
|Vehicle Type||Towing Charges (INR. Rs)|
|Two Wheeler (Bike, Cycles etc)||180|
|Cars and Jeeps (Low Weight)||360|
|Taxi ( All Type Cabs)||270|
|Truck, Tankers and Other Trailer (Heavy Vehicles)||1080|
Note : Highly recommended to share and print this post with your Facebook and Google+ friends as many might not know about this latest traffic fines.
Paying Fines via E-Challan System
One of the major moves by traffic department of Mumbai, Introduction of E-Challan machines to collect fines and penalty amounts that till date were paid in cash. Traffic cops use to give back receipt (pavti in Hindi) upon paying actual amount, and few use to bribe and take bribe accepting cash Rs.100 (Just an example) when the actual offence attracts Rs.500 legally.
Trying to bring end to the corruption in department, About E-Challan machines which is a wireless device which will accept only Debit and Credit cards to deduct fine amount from citizens who break rules. About one thousand such machines will be given to traffic police which are centrally connected to a database inside a data centre of servers which device connects and updates the information details about offenders. With every fine amount, Rs.9.5 will be extra charged on Debit / Credit card as convenience charge towards the easy to use device.
What about those who do not carry such electronic debit or credit cards ? Traffic department gives a time period of 15 days within which the offender has to pay the requested fine amount via NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer) also commonly called a medium of ‘wire transfer’ or ‘Online Payment’. Fail to pay the fines within 15 days, from 16th day Rs.10 extra be added for every next day till you pay. Police are further planning to increase the devices upon successful workout of initial 1000 devices and also to introduce prepaid cards as an alternative option which like any other smart card has money added already via some E-Wallet or R-Wallet. Does that mean, whoever will use that prepaid cards are confident of doing any of the listed road offences in Mumbai city or else the card amount will expire / be unused ? (Just kidding).
Very good idea and nice initiative, But does that means ‘Sou Rupiya Lo Baat Khatam Karo’ (Bribing with Rs.100 note and saying finish the matter here and let me go) kind things will not happen. Getting rid off every loop hole to make this system powerful / uncorrupted is very important and i am waiting for same to be updated here. Till then have a safe journey, Hope you cards are never swiped in E-Challan machine.
- Home Address Of Bollywood Stars – Mumbai Residential Address Of Celebrities Film Stars 1,076 views
- Movie Theatres Ticket Rates – Mumbai Cinema Theatres Ticket Prices 1,028 views
- Picnic Spots Near Mumbai | Overnight and One day Picnic Spots. 873 views
- Solanpada Jambrung Dam and Waterfall at Karjat Near Mumbai 751 views
- Grant Road Station Attractions – Mumbai 625 views
- Wet N Joy Water Park Lonavala Near Mumbai 604 views
- Mumbai Traffic Rules 2016 – Road Traffic Signs 519 views
- BEST Bus Fares – Mumbai Latest Revised BEST Pass Rates and Ticket Fares 448 views
- Mumbai Metro Trains Travel – Routes | Timetable | Fares | Stations | Tickets 436 views
- Online Appointment For Learner License – RTO Mumbai 422 views