“Below is complete list and guide to famous one day picnic spots located in and near Mumbai with road distance and pictures. Also listed are few Overnight places which have cool and pleasant climate with attractions like Mountains and Hill stations like Lonavala, Khandala, Matheran, Mahableshwar (Major all Monsoon Spots), Bhimashankar via Manchar, Raigad Rope-Way, Daman, Dapoli, Aurangabad, Murud Janjira, Harihareshwar, Ratnagiri, Ajanta Ellora, Alibaug, Saguna Baug, Bhandardara, Kashid, Elephanta caves (All spots being near Mumbai) with details like Hotels and resorts near, famous locations and sight seeing, travel and transportation options, best time to visit all these picnic spots. Also if someone planning for one night (overnight) picnic, best places to my knowledge are listed below..”
Hill Station Picnic Spots
- Lonavala & Khandala Hill Stations : (Best Picnic Spot Near Mumbai for people who like Waterfalls, Greenery, Mountains and looking for pleasant environment to hangout).
- Mahabaleshwar Hill Station : (One of the old and famous hill station picnic spot with lots of sight seeing spots. Ideal location to spend at least 2 to 3 days as it has lots of overnight stay options. Enjoy the scenic mountains, valleys and specially the fresh pollution free climate. Don’t miss the fresh strawberries if you here during winter season (November to January/February)
- Matheran Hill Station (Another best Overnight Picnic Spot) : (Mumbai’s heritage listed picnic spot where no vehicles are allowed. And so is Matheran hills are pollution free. This spot is ideal for people looking for a break to a peaceful destination for a day, But ideal for overnight as the climate and mountains around will not feel you leave by evening same day. Mountain lovers and people looking for cool climate during summer or due to health issues must reach Matheran planning some wonderful picnic in group. With low cost travelling, This is among one of the best picnic spots nearest to Mumbai at about 90 KM, Ideal for winters and summer seasons as monsoon are pleasant too, But roads are muddy).
- Malshej Ghat : A Special Monsoon Picnic spot near Mumbai at distance of 130 KM. Consider Malshej Ghat as One day only picnic if you haven’t booked your room at the only MTDC resort available for overnight stay. Foggy deep valley, Snow all along the pathway, Waterfalls surprised and welcomes you as soon you reach Malshej ghat hills.Few nice selfie spots and locations to enjoy the beautiful hide and seek of mountain fogs. Below videos will give you exact idea as whole mountain road has been covered in the clip. Ideal day picnic spot for family and friends and specially those waterfalls lovers.
- Saguna Baug : One of the Pollution Free spot at Neral, About 100 KM distance from Mumbai at Malegaon village. Saguna Baug is spread over 55 acres natural green land, ideal as picnic at farm area with nature and various activities planned by Saguna baug owners. If you are looking for farm side picnic in group, This spot in neral is what i recommend for a day or overnight too.
- Overnight Picnic at Beaches : Some exclusive spots for those looking for beaches for overnight stay in and around Mumbai.
- Raigad Rope Way : (Raigad district in Maharashrta is about 120 km from Mumbai and is very famous for Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj museum and also for this rope way adventure (760 meter long, 420 Meter High). Shivaji Maharaj who has his SAMADHI here at this fort area which is a beautiful spot for a day picnic and sight seeing too. Also there are places like Gangasagar Lake, beautiful Sunrise at Walan Kund near Mahad, Takmak Cliff, Jijamata Palace & Jagdishwar Temple around to stay back and check for day or two.
- Bhandardara : (This is a unique Picnic Spot located near ‘Shendi Village’ with lots of greenery, mountains for monsoon trekkers as it has lush greenery and beautiful nature with peace all around.)
- AlibaugAbout 97 km from Mumbai is this Village called ‘Alibaug’ famous for its beaches and temples. An ideal location to enjoy multiple beaches and take a overnight picnic break. A beautiful green villages, clean beaches and few old temples like Birla Mandir and more. This place have nice bungalows and Resorts option, ideal for overnight stay and picnic fun.
One Day Picnic Spots
- Lets start with the sweet little kids. Here are list of all Picnic Gardens inside Mumbai ideal as children picnic spots, But will sure be enjoyed by adults too. Also here is the complete list of famous gardens and parks in Mumbai.
- Want to plan a classy treat or a picnic inside sea with a group, family or just couples ? Plan your picnic at Ab Celestial, Mumbai’s first floating hotel inside sea at Bandra reclamation.
- Keshav Srushti : At far North suburban station called Bhayander on western railway route at about 40 Km (Beyond Andheri and Borivali). Be here for a day picnic with school group and others to understand and experience nature from very close. Wonderful place for education as it has ponds, streams and lotus flowers inside, farms, plants and herbs to know about and a perfect village feel to enjoy your day.
- Elephanta Caves : One of the oldest caves in South Mumbai island, This is a day only picnic spot for those in love of heritage structures and old caves.
- Essel World : If you are looking for thrill and adventure for a day, Essel world at Borivali is the perfect day spend as it has lots of Amusement Rides and thrilling rides for Adults and Kids. So head to Mumbai suburb Borivali for one day adventure picnic with family and friends.
- Byculla Zoo Picnic : Enjoy Mumbai’s oldest and beautiful Zoo at Byculla near Station. An ideal spot for wild animal lovers and now a special penguin section too.
- Borivali National Park : A day picnic inside dense forest and jungle sounds exciting right, But in real it is more exciting and thrill to be witrh nature where leopards are spotted usually. So plan your picnic inside one of the biggest national park of Asia with nature, jungle, flora and faunas and be with the wilds. This jungle picnic experience is sure not to be missed if you are in City for few days or a Mumbaikar. One of the largest green forest in Asia is one of the most liked spot for picnic too.
- Maharashtra Nature Park : As we citizen say in Hindi ‘Jungle Mein Mangal’, A super greenery experience in the heart of concrete city. MNP as it is famously called is one such place for a day only picnic, highly recommended for school students and for all those bird watchers. Oh Yes, here is the list of bird watching locations and major gardens in Mumbai can be in your list of picnic spots too for great day spent well.
- Monsoon Picnic Spots : Follow this post for complete details on Monsoon destination in Mumbai for a wet day picnic. Most spots are inside Mumbai and few at distance, ideal to go in group.
- Ajanta Ellora Caves : One of the Best Ancient monuments near Mumbai, An historic location which has black stone mountains and caves with artworks carved, It has shrines cut right insto the rocky mountains all manually and still fit as listed in heritage structures. A historic picnic spot ideal for ancient art, structures and history lovers.
- Anand Resort at Arnala Virar : Enjoy Picnic at Arnala beach, Virar with Coconut trees shades. Its a Beach touch resort with swimming pool, Dj Dance floor, Rain dance options, Gardens which makes up a nice place for a day picnic. Kindly note that many other resorts are available in vicinity and this is not just one famous.
Spots Near Mumbai
Although many of the above spots are near Mumbai city, Below are some attractive spots which requires travelling and not all are one day ideal locations for picnic.
- Dapoli Near Khed Village : Dapoli is about 22 kilometres from Khed Village which is 250 Kilometres from Mumbai. Yet, an ideal beach side location to be with mother nature with caves, forts, water springs and hiking spots all around. A complete picnic package for overnight stay at a small village location at about 700 to 800 feet above sea level.
- Daman Beaches : Daman is famous picnic spot for beach lovers as there are Jampore and Devka beaches at around 192 kilometres from Mumbai that can be reached via NH8.
Hope that helps you to get started with your planning. Do share your picnic experiences in comment box below and let all know about few other locations you know.