Starting in June 2014, Mumbai metro trains were the need of time and Line 1 (Versova to Ghatkopar) got open to the public journey. It is 2022 and 2 more routes (Line 7 & 2A) as detailed below are getting opened to the Public. AC metro coaches have been blessing for the last 8 years and a total of 13 routes are planned to Connect Mumbai to Suburban, Thane & Palghar district, Central & Western Railway route including Navi Mumbai.
After a long list of works like Soil Investigation, Utility, Piling, Pile Cap, Pier, Pier Cap, U Girder, Station work, Various testings, and more, Metro trains are been thrown open to the public one by one. Below are complete details, facilities, the latest pictures of each route, and interconnectivity with other Metro stations & other local train stations that will help understand the complete route map.
Updates (2nd April 2022): It was Gudi Padwa day and 2 major good new happened in Mumbai city, It got free from Wearing Mask & 2 Major Metro lines were opened to Public (Metro 7 & 2A).
NOTE:As of opening, Metro line 2A is open to the public From Dahisar to Dahanukar wadi (Kandivali West) & Line 7 is a limited operations route is from Dahisar (East) till Goregaon Highway (Aarey). Both lines are already connected at Dahisar (East), which means one can start the journey on Line 2A & continue on the same train on 7.
A joy ride of lines 7 & 2A is possible by starting the train journey at Dahanukar Wadi (Kandivali West, Link road station) till Goregaon Highway (Aarey Metro Station).
New Metro Train Coaches & Facilities
New coaches of Line 7 & 2A has some really great view & facilities for commuters, Below listed are same.
- Driver Less Trains: All new metro trains will mostly have 6 & 8 coaches (designed by BEML Limited India) & will be totally automated driven. Yes, these trains are driver less and is operated automatically via computer systems
- Safety Barricades: The photos of new trains & coaches on line 7 & 2A and all upcoming lines shows how safety is the top priority. Unlike Metro 1 (First line started in 2014), All new trains and lines will have such safety barricade gates for each coach.
Since all trains are auto-driven, the train halts and adjusts itself by auto aligning each coach with the respective barricaded safety gates, and both open parallel together. No person can jump over and cross metro lines and reach another side.
- Ladies/Women-only Coaches: Special coach in each train for ladies. A perfect solution like Local trains needed during peak office hour travel.
- Cycles Allowed: Each coach has a dedicated fixed cycle stand, Commuters are allowed to get their cycles inside and use the stand while traveling (A picture of the cycle stand can be seen below).
- Coaches & Seatings: Stainless steel 8 seaters are allocated at multiple places inside each coach. Beautiful uninterrupted view & high-tech facilities like USB charging for mobile phones & laptop charging (3 pin plug, Round) can be seen at multiple locations inside every coach.
Below the seating area, Fire extinguishers are installed. CCTV can be seen at multiple entry & exit areas & inside. The digital display on every door helps commuters with station names, routes, etc.
Route Versova (Andheri West) to Ghatkopar. Started in June 2014.
- Route Distance: 11.40 km.
- Total Metro Stations: 12.
- Metro Car Depot Location: D N Nagar.
- Coaches: 4 & 6 AC Coach trains with about 700 to 800 Pessengers capacity.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 2 (DN Nagar), Western Railway Andheri Station, Metro Line 3 Marol Naka & Central Railway Ghatkopar Station.
- Mumbai Metro Line 1 Route – Station Names:
Versova (Seven Bungalows, Andheri West) D N Nagar (Andheri West) Azad Nagar (West) Andheri Railway Station (East Side) Western Express High (WEH East) Chakala (East) Airport Road (Connectivity Junction) Marol Naka Saki Naka Asalpha (Connecting Ghatkopar Location) Jagruti Nagar Ghatkopar (West).
Route 2A (Dahisar to DN Nagar) on Link Road Corridor. (Started on 2nd April 2022, Operations limited from Dahisar East to kandivali Dahanukar Wadi, Expected full operational route by 15th August 2022). Interconnected with route 7 at Dahisar East metro Station.
- Route Distance: 18.589 km.
- Total Metro Stations: 17.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 1 (Versova to Ghatkopar) at DN Nagar Metro station which has access to Western Express Highway, Western & Central Railway. Line 2A connects metro line 1 which connects to line 7 at Western Express Highway (Andheri East to Dahisar East Corridor).
- Mumbai Metro Line 2A Route – Station Names:
Dahisar Anand Nagar Rushi Sankul IC Colony Eksar Don Bosco Shimpoli Mahavir Nagar Kamraj Nagar Charkop Malad Metro Station Kasturi Park Bangur Nagar Goregaon Metro Station Adarsha Nagar (Andheri) Shastri Nagar (Andheri) DN Nagar (Andheri)
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC Trains with an estimated ridership of 4 lakh passengers.
Route 2B (DN Nagar to Mandale at Mankhurd).
- Route distance: 23.643 km.
- Total Metro Stations: 20.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: DN Nagar (Metro Line 1 & Line 2A), BKC (Metro Line 3), Monorail (Chembur), Eastern Express Highway (Metro Line 4).
- Mumbai Metro Line 2B Route – Station Names:
ESIC Nagar (DN Nagar) Prem Nagar Indira Nagar Nanavati Hospital Khira Nagar Saraswat Nagar National College Bandra Metro Station Income Tax Office ILFS (BKC) MTNL Metro SG Barve Marg Kurla East Eastern Express Highway (EEH) Chembur Diamond Garden Shivaji Chowk BSNL Metro Station Mankhurd Mandale Metro.
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC Trains with an estimated ridership of 8 to 9 lakhs passengers.
South Mumbai Colaba to Seepz Village via Bandra BKC.
- Route distance: 33.5 km.
- Total Stations:27, Of which 26 stations will be underground & 1 elevated.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Covering Nariman Point, BKC (Metro Line 2) Both Domestic and International Airports T2, Industrial & IT Hub at Marol Naka (Metro Line 1) MIDC and SEEPZ (Metro Line 6).
- Mumbai Metro Line 3 Route – Station Names:
Colaba Cuffe Parade Vidhan Bhaan Churchgate Metro Hutatma Chowk CST Metro Kalbadevi Girgaon Grant Road Mumbai Central Mahalaxmi Metro Science Museum Acharya Atre Chowk Worli Dadar Siddhivinayak Temple Dadar Metro Sitladevi Sharavi Bandra BKC Junction Vidyanagri Santacruz CSIA Domestic Airport Sahar Road CSIA International Airport Andheri Marol Naka MIDC Seepz Village.
- Coaches: 6 & 8 AC Coach Trains.
- NOTE: The work for Line 3 has already been started. About a thousand more trees that were decades old have been chopped in 2017 and 2018 might see more such.
Wadala to Kasarvadavali (Thane)
- Route distance: 32.32 km
- Total Stations: 32.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Eastern Express Highway, Central Railway, Mono Rail, Metro Line 2B (D N Nagar to Mandale), Metro Line 5 (Thane to Kalyan), Metro Line 6 (Swami Samarth Nagar to Vikhroli) & Metro Line 8 (Wadala to General Post Office).
- Mumbai Metro Line 4 Route – Station Names:
Wadala Bhakti Park Metro Wadala TT Anik Nagar Bus Depot Suman Nagar Siddharth Colony Amar Mahal Junction Garodia Nagar Pant Nagar Lakxmi Nagar Ghatkopar Shreyas Cinema Vikhroli Godrej Company Vikhroli Metro Surya Nagar Gandhi Nagar Naval Housing Bhandup Mahapalika Bhandup Metro Shangrila Sonapur Mulund Fire Station Mulund Naka Thane Teen Haath Naka RTO Thane Mahapalika Marg Cadbury Junction Majiwada Kapurbawdi Manpada Tikuji-Ni-Wadi Dongari Pada Vijay Garden Kasarvadavali
- Coaches: 8 coach train with an estimated ridership of 8 to 9 Lakhs.
Thane Kasarvadavali to Gaimukh (Ghodbunder Road)
- Route distance: 2.7 km
- Total Stations: Updates Soon.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: It is an extension of Metro Line 4 and may connect the line that comes from Dahisar, Mira Bhayander in the Future if planned.
- Mumbai Metro Line 4A Route – Station Names: Connects at Kasarvadavali (Thane) Gowniwada Gaimukh.
Thane to Bhiwandi to Kalyan
- Route distance: 24.90 km.
- Total Stations: 15.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 4 (Wadala to Kasarvadavli) and the proposed Metro Line 12 (Kalyan to Taloja), and with the existing Central Railway.
- Mumbai Metro Line 5 Route – Station Names:
Thane Kapurbawdi (Metro Line 4 Connection) Balkum Naka Kasheli Kalher Purna Anjurphata Dhamankar Naka Bhiwandi Gopal Nagar Temghar Rajnouli Gove Gaon Kon Gaon Lal Chowki Kalyan Station Kalyan APMC
- Coaches: 6 coach trains with an expected ridership of 3 lakhs people daily.
Swami Samarth Nagar (Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri to Vikhroli Eastern Express Highway (EEH).
- Route Distance: 15.31 km.
- Total Stations: 13.
- Interchange / Connecting stations:
Metro Line 2A at Aadarsh Nagar, Metro Line 7 (Western Express Highway) Junction JVLR, Metro Line 3 at SEEPZ Area, Metro Line 4 at Kanjurmarg (West), Suburban Railways at Jogeshwari (Western Railway Route) and Kanjurmarg (Central Railway Route) respectively.
- Mumbai Metro Line 6 Route – Station Names:
Swami Samarth Nagar (Andheri West, Lokhandwala) Adarsh Nagar Jogeshwari West JVLR Western Express Highway Junction Shyam Nagar Mahakali Caves Seepz Village Saki Vihar Road Rambaug Powai Lake IIT Powai Kanjurmarg West Vikhroli Eastern Express Highway.
- Coaches: 6 & 8 AC Coach trains with expected daily ridership of 7 Lakhs in future.
Dahisar East to Andheri East (Complete Western Express Highway Route). (Started on 2nd April 2022, Currently till Goregaon Aarey & Expected full operations by 15th August 2022).
- Route distance: 15.31 Km.
- Total Stations: 14.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 1 (Western Express Highway), Metro Line 2A (Dahisar to DN Nagar), Metro Line 6 (at JVLR Western Express Highway).
- Mumbai Metro Line 7 Route – Station Names:
Andheri Western Express Highway Metro Junction Shankarwadi (Mogra) Highway Jogeshwari Highway JVLR Junction Mahananda Goregaon Aarey Malad Pathan Wadi Malad Pushpa Park Malad Kandivali Bandongri Kandivali Thakur Village & Complex Area Mahindra & Mahindra Borivali Magathane Depot Borivali Devipada Borivali National Park Dahisar East Ovaripada
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC trains.
Andheri East (Western Express Highway Metro Line 1 & 7) interconnect Junction to CSIA Terminal 2 (International Airport). This route is already interconnected & operation with line 2A at Dahisar East.
- Route distance: 3.2 Km.
- Total Stations: 3.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 1 (Western Express Highway), Metro Line 7 (Andheri to Dahisar East), Metro Line 3 (Colaba to Seepz Village).
- Mumbai Metro Line 7A Route – Station Names:
Andheri Western Express Highway Metro Line 1 & 7 Junction Airport Colony CSIA Terminal 2 (International Airport)
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC trains.
Line 7A CSIA Terminal 2 (International Airport) to Navi Mumbai International Airport.
About 35 Kilometres, this metro route is ‘Proposed’ and the process of study & project report started. Metro 8 will connect NMIA (Navi Mumbai International Airport) with Metro Line 2B.
Dahisar East to Mira Bhayandar (Extension of Line 7).
- Route distance: 13.5 Km (2.19 Km Underground at CSIA).
- Total Stations: 10.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 2A (Andheri DN Nagar to Dahisar West via Link Road), Metro Line 7 (Andheri to Dahisar via Western Express Highway). Metro 10 will also be inter-connecting this route (Gaimukh and Thane Kasarwadavli).
- Mumbai Metro Line 9 Route – Station Names:
Dahisar East Pandurang Wadi (Highway Line 7, Near Thakur Mall Area) Miragaon Amar Palace (Western Express Highway, Metro Line 7 Kashigaon (Mira Bhayandar Road Starts) Saibaba Nagar Medetiya Nagar Shahid Bhagat Singh Garden Subhash Chandra Bose Stadium MBMC Sports Complex (New Golden Nest Road) Indralok Complex (Bhayandar East)
- Coaches: 8 Coach AC trains with an expected ridership of 8 lakhs and above.
Upcoming Mumbai Metro Routes
At the early proposed & planning stage, below are the upcoming metro routes in Mumbai, Suburban & metro areas.
- Metro Line 10: Ghodbundar Road Gaimukh – Kashimira Shivaji Chowk (Mira Road Highway). Total 9 Stations with Approximate distance of 10 km.
- Metro Line 11: CSMT Railway Station to Wadala. Total of 11 metro stations and distance of 13 Km.
- Metro Line 12: Kalyan to Taloja, 17 Metro Station with Route Distance of 21 Km.
- Metro Line 13: Mira Bhayandar Highway (Kashi-Mira Shivaji Chowk) to Virar. Total metro Stations will be 20 and will Approximate Distance will be 25 km.
- Metro Line 14: Kanjurmarg (Central Railway) to Badlapur (Navi Mumbai). Total Stations being 40 with 45 to 47 km distance route.
Metro train Picture Gallery
Latest Pictures of New Metro Trains, Coaches, and Inside
Metro Line 7 Pictures (2014)
Route Maps Images Courtesy: MMRDA.