“2 Hours guided tour which is regular now (Only Saturday & Sundays before till 1st August 2014) inside Film city of Mumbai located at Goregaon, a station in western suburb of city. The real name of Film city is ‘Dadasaheb Phalke Chitra Nagri’ also referred as Mumbai’s Maya Nagri Studio, Owned and Operated by MAHARASHTRA FILM, STAGE and CULTURAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION LIMITED, a government organization undertaking. It has many studios and shooting sets one generally see’s in Bollywood films and famous Indian television serials. This 2 hour stroll inside AC bus also gives chance to get down for one or two times to visit location and attraction and also for break at restaurant which gives a chance to get glimpse of various Bollywood and Hindi, Marathi TV actors on shoot. Since this MTDC film city touring bus is a new attraction to them too, they might wave off hands to you as warm welcome sign. Lets understand which all famous serials sets and studios are seen during this paid guided tour, what are the timings, packages and charges for locals (Indians) and Foreign tourists, how to reach Goregaon Filmcity and how to book tickets online and offline near gates to get into Bollywood dream world location..”
Jump to : [ About Filmcity Tour ], [ Studios and Sets Inside Filmcity ], [ Shooting Studios Sets Seen During Tour ], [ Bus Timings and Charges and Bookings ], [ How To Reach Filmcity Goregaon ], [ Videos ], [ Updates ]
Few Pictures Courtesy : Filmcity Website
About Filmcity Tour
About 35 years old now, This Filmcity is the only 520 acres huge plot at Goregaon East suburb jungle with about 16 studios and 42 ready locations to shoot outdoor and indoor like Gardens, Open Play Grounds, Appu Maidan, BNHS Jungle, Ready Church, Court, Open flat roads, Khandala temple Road, Log Huts, Famous Temple as you see in most movies, Helipads, Beautiful Lakes, Small ponds and Small rivers, Hills for awesome view, Bungalow Sets, Open Crop Fields, Bamboo Plantations, Sunsire / Sunset Point, Studio Booking, Natural Village Sets, Waterfalls Location, Car parking buildings, Paywat Mud Road, Farishte Maidan, Communication and Admin centre, Train sequence sets and lots more well surrounded by lush greenery, valleys, woods with natural flora and fauna’s blessed by another huge attraction called Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Aarey and Powai Lake area and more. At least one or more scenes is compulsory to be shot inside ‘Dadasaheb Phalke Chitra Nagri’ for any Hindi movie to get censor board clearance. This land at Goregaon forest area experienced its first shoot with 1981 released film which has the legendary actors like ‘Amitabh Bachchan’,’Amjad Khan’,’Raakhee’ starer called ‘Barsaat Ki Ek Raat’, produced and directed by Shakti Samanta. Since then filmcity has seen almost all actors, small or big, Bollywood or TV serials, adults or kids, Hindi or marathi or any regional stage actors having their presence here. The guided tour ‘Tour De Filmcity’ by Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) has been opened to public now and be sure a mega hit and also be on the list of Mumbai attractions. From ad Films to TV Serial and those big budget Bollywood films, everything goes here.
For some lawful reasons this tour is restricted for Foreign Tourists. If you are a foreigner (Foreign National) in Mumbai and still interested to enjoy this attraction and get the tour experience, you need to get special permissions from Filmcity Administrative Department Office of Mumbai, contact at (+91-22-28401533 / +91-22-28403530 / +91-22-28497500) which is located inside same premise OR MTDC OR Mantralaya (Main Government Body located at South Mumbai). Charges for foreign national will be much higher compared to local citizens or any Indian national. There are 3 tours operated per day and booking can be done at Filmcity main gate or online (See below all details). A photo ID proof which is used during booking online is compulsory to be allowed in this tour. See more details about the Timings, Booking and Charges in the section below.
Studios and Sets Inside Filmcity
With about 16 Ready Studios both Air-conditioned and Non-AC spread in about 1 Lakh square feet area, This 520 Acres of land in film city studio also has 42 outdoor and indoor shoot locations for Television, Hindi and Marathi Movies, Dramas and anything related to film and entertainment media. Below are basic details of this studios and sets of which few will be seen from inside guided tour bus. As the touring bus starts a video is played and parallel is the voice of the guide. He explains details in Hindi of every location and sets seen on the way with its name as seen on board. I also feel they should guide and explaining in English too which will be an added advantage and help for foreign tourists, else will be all seating blank without any clue on what he says. Please keep a note that not each and every location and place of above 500 acres of plot as detailed on this page will be covered in 2 hours limited tour time. Yet, the main sets and studios can be seen on the way.
AC and Non-AC Studios Outdoor Locations
- Police Station
- Building Complex
- Hospital Location
- Helicopter Landing
- Outdoor Location
- Helipad Up
- Helipad Down
- Lake Up
- Lake Down
- Kaliya Maidan Stage
- Kaliya Maidan, Total 3
- Appu Pappu Maidan Total 4
- Link Roads Total 2
- Samrat Maidan
- Farishte Maidan
- Res Garden
- Bapu Nagar
- Mrutunjai Maidan
- Hill View
- Studio Complex
- Whistling Wood
- Adlab Complex
- Adiwashi Maidan
- Josh Maidan Total 2
- Vishnu Maidan
- Welcome Maidan
- Banjara Maidan
- Santosh Nagar Maidan
- Khandala Ghat
- Jungle Outdoor
AC and Non-AC Studios Indoor Locations
- Studios Total 16
- Police Station
- Building Complex
- Hospital Location
- Helicopter Landing
Shooting Studios Sets Seen During Tour
This Maya Nagri tour starts from main gate at 3 different time slots per day (See below). The broad view windows of the touring AC Bus is a plus to the excitement of getting glimpse of a real shoot and one’s favorite actors on the shoot. The guide inside starts the video which initially details some age old historic details and facts of Bollywood world and film city, then the guide starts to narrate the location name along with TV Serial and Film sets and studios (Made of Plaster Of Paris) as seen and details with name of all those movies and TV serials like Suhani si ek ladki, Yum hai Hum, Reporters, Mahakumb, Saraswati Chandra, Utraan, Dream Girl, Udaan, Maharana Pratap, Mahabharat, Lapata Gunj, Chidiya Ghar, Madhubala, been shot in that place. Below are some of the sets along the tour which has a display with location name written on it. Very important locations covered are Reliance media Office, Work Woods and Office of Director Subhash Ghai. Vanity vans and many small big actors can be seen along side of road during tour. Last few locations will be interesting as the famous temple and a hilly area is covered. This hilly location is all we see in movies as Manali, Ooty, Masoori, Kashmir where legendary actors and all debutante once till date shoots for their films.
- Sets of Goa, Gujarat and Thailand which makes us feel like shoot was actually done there, Thanks for the advanced cameras and those editing software.
- Tour starts at Sai Maidan known for its film ‘Sai Baba’
- Welcome Maidan, famous for shoots of movies like Roy, Welcome, Happy New Year.
- Chandrapuri Colony famous seen in Serial ‘Yam Hai Hum’.
- Josh Maidan sighting like Goa, With the name pointing to famous SRK movie Josh of late 90’s.
- Joker Maidan is the next from inside tour bus, and guess which later movie was shot here ? Filmed on Akshay Kumar. And hey Shahrukh Khans upcoming Raees shoot is also done here.
- Abucha Gaon, Remember the super hit TV Serial of 90’s ‘Mahabharat’ ? This Goan (Also Known as Village in English) location is famous for major regional film shoots.
- The famous serial ‘Saraswatichandra’, ‘Udaan’ and ‘Mahakumbh’ sets also be seen next.
- Kaalia Maidan, The Only Kaalia of Bollywood Shri Amitabhji was shot. And lately Ragini MMS staring Sunny Leone.
- Hold your breath, The Show man Subhashghai’s building called ‘Mukta Arts’ is next surrounded by commercial setups like hospitals, hotels etc.
- Next feel is Udaipur kind as you see the Tv sets of ‘Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai’.
- Order, Order the set is a silent zone is real life outside. Yes, its a Court premises.
- Take your blessing to the passing by Church where many actors already did in films like ‘Amar Akbar Anthony’ and latest ‘Ajab Prem Ki..’.
- You see the Baburao of Heri Pheri film has done its shoot here on the Chawl sets.
- The Current TV sensational set which was once burnt is the next, Yes thats ‘Comedy Nights Set’.
Remember the Water Tank in Movie Sholay ? Dharam Paji got on top to Jump for Hemamalini ? Its the next.
- Salman’s ready movie steps and ladders can be seen next.
- BREAK TIME but another excitement for all as you are allowed to get down the bus and walk along the lake of filmcity. Yes this is the same lake that was seen in film shoots of Devdas, Mission Kashmir, R-Rajkumar and more.
- The tour bus moves next towards a location called ‘Check Post’ and ‘Road Forking Set’ which you might have seen in movies like ‘Gangajal’ and John starer ‘Force’.
- Next, this AC bus takes a leap to hills of filmcity from where you can peep and see the famous ‘Powai Lake‘ and locations of film shoots like Hum Dil De Chuke.., No Entry etc.
- Bus moves towards a Helipad inside filmcity used many a times, Remember Lion Of Bollywood who frequently traveled using this vehicle from here.
- Next is the ‘Echo Point’ and Famous temple as seen in pictures on this page.
- There are many other studios and set from which bus passes like Houses, Gardens and Khandala Bridge, Campus area etc.
- Finally before it takes break again for snacks at a restaurant, You must not miss the sets of famous ‘Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta (Ulta) Chasma’
Bus Timings and Charges and Bookings
Timings : This AC bus tour starts 3 times in a day. Tour timings are different for weekdays and weekends and holidays.
- 11:30 Morning to 1:30 Afternoon
- 2:00 Afternoon to 4:00 Evening
- 4:30 Evening to 6:30 Evening
Weekends and Holidays Timings:
- 11:00 to 1:00 and 11:30 Morning to 1:30 Afternoon
- 1:30 to 3:30 and 2:00 Afternoon to 4:00 Evening
- 4:00 to 6:00 and 4:30 Evening to 6:30 Evening
Entry Charges : Rs.499 Per Head are the charges for all Indian Citizens. Foreign tourists needs to get extra permissions as not allowed and tentative charges are Rs. 3250/- (Which comes to Approximate $53 to $55). Keep note that details on charges may vary from time to time and we will try to update the rates as possible. Entry fees free for children below 5 years of age. (12.36% Service Tax Extra).
Ticket Bookings : Filmcity tour bus booking can be done directly at Main gate or also cane be done online at their website.
Touring Terms and Conditions
- Tobacco and Its Products, drinking are restricted.
- Keep Mobile Phones on Silent Mode inside tour bus.
- Always remain with tour group and bus guide.
- You are not allowed to rush towards shooting area if any actors seen.
- Do not touch any property inside Filmcity, Else penalty Applied.
- Be on or before time near tour bus area. As tour starts on time and wait cannot be done.
- Please keep the tour and Filmcity locations clean. Do not litter.
- Photography and Videos only allowed in certain areas.
- Ticket booking if cancelled is not refundable.
- Valid ID proofs (Pan Card, Voters ID, Driving License, Passport) and as listed online on Filmcity website has to be carried.
- Clicking photographs with celebrities and actors during tour time is restricted.
- You are not allowed to visit any studios from inside.
- One cannot reschedule or cancel tickets if being late to tour on the day.
How To Reach Filmcity Goregaon
Goregaon Station is located in Western Railway Route of Mumbai local trains (See all Station names). Its is just 2 stations from Andheri (The Airport Station) and Filmcity is located in EAST. On Western Express Highway (NH8) take the road at Oberoi Mall exactly at Junction, Go Straight for few minutes and first right to reach the Filmcity Main gate.
Filmcity, Dadasaheb Phalke Chitranagri, Goregaon (East), Mumbai – 400065
Contact Number : +91-22-28401533 / +91-22-28403530 / +91-22-28497500 (Not For Tour Bookings)
Post Booking Help Contact Numbers : +91-7738007224 (After any help post booking)
- Home Residential Address Of Bollywood Actors Celebrities Stars – Mumbai 864 views
- Mumbai Traffic Rules 2017 – Road Safety and Traffic Signs 820 views
- Telephone Directory – MTNL Mumbai Directory Services 786 views
- How to Get Vehicle Registration and Owner Details Via SMS – Mumbai 553 views
- Grant Road Station Attractions – Mumbai 548 views
- Mumbai Metro Trains – Routes | Timetable | Fares | Stations | Tickets 539 views
- Online Appointment For Learner License – RTO Mumbai 515 views
- Chor Bazaar – Mumbai Second Hand Product Bazaar and Stolen Thieves Market 425 views
- Mumbai Zoo at Byculla Called Veer Jijamata Udyan 363 views
- Wet N Joy Water Park Lonavala Near Mumbai 347 views