Fares for AC Local trains in Mumbai, With other details like timetable and the facilities and features of these Air Conditioned local trains running on Western, Central and Harbour routes..”
Benefiting western railway route first and soon the central railways too, AC Local trains will be first in history of Mumbai railway network to get started on Christmas day of year 2017. Year 2017 was dedicated to trail and testing and here comes time for excitement and real run.
Updates : Recently it was declared that people carrying FIRST CLASS pass can travel inside AC train with an option of upgrading the pass to AC seasonal by paying the difference amount. Thumbs up to the flexibility option and many have opt for same, Yet if railway plans to attract masses towards AC locals and thinks of increasing the numbers of trains and passengers, Then the cost should be balanced. Finally its an important means of commuting, Necessity and not luxury or optional for many.
AC Ticket Cost & Pass Fares
For regular commuters and foreign nationals, Below are ticket fares (in INR and USD) for AC local trains which includes Single journey cost, Return journey cost, Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly pass rates. For these AC trains special weekly and 2 weeks pass options are also available, Fares for which are detailed below.
AC Local Trains Fast Facts
Proposed in 2007 with funds allocation and planning in 2011, Mumbai expected the new AC rakes in 2013 initially which was a miss and the Miss repeated in 2014 and 2015, With finally on March 2016 process got the push and in April rakes arrived and test run dates set with hurdles in Central railway route due to height of rakes unfitting to old British era bridges and 2017 was all for test and trials.
Starting : 1st January 2018
Maximum Speed Limit : 110 Kilometre / Hour.
No Weekend Operations : These trains will run only on weekdays.
Seating Capacity : 1028 total passengers. 3 Compartments dedicated as ladies and No Luggage compartment.
AC Rakes / Coaches : Total of 12 Coaches with 6 rakes interconnected. First and Last Coach will be ladies compartments only, 10 Seats reserved for Physically challenged (4th & 7th Coach), 7 Seats for Senior Citizens in other coach. Each coaches has 15 tonnes (Total 2) air conditioners in each with fans and forced ventilation system. These are the usual local trains retrofitted with Auto system of open & close of doors and AC fitted inside. Simply, not a specially designed AC local train.
Passengers Safety & Security : Talk back system in each coach to talk to motorman in case emergency. Emergency ladders, LED display in motorman cabin to know chain pulling of which coach, 2 fire extinguishers in every coach, 6 of the 12 coaches are connected via vestibule system so in case emergency escape possible. More security system inside motorman cabin for better communication and other related to train safety. Every train will have a AC technician for any emergency and repair. Many RPF officers and TC to keep check and for public security.
AC local Train Exterior Looks : Since it is a local train of Mumbai, Complete exterior of this trains will be painted to give the feel of Mumbai.
Standing Capacity : 4936
Total Passenger Capacity : 5964
Running Between Churchgate & Virar : Yet not finalized, But whenever it will have 10 halts which are (Mumbai Central, Dadar, Bandra, Andheri, Goregaon, Borivali, Bhayandar, Vasai and Virar) which will run on fast tracks. Currently as planned, it should run between Churchgate and Borivali, Andheri & Bandra.
Door Control (Open & Close) : With Motorman, But for emergency purpose their is a Knob (both inside & outside door) which can be used to open that door. LED display for each door inside motorman cabin.
Crowd Management on Doors : Their is no Queue system in current NON AC trains, Not even commuters disciplined enough due to huge crowd and crunch in number of trains which is an ongoing issue. In such scenario railway authorities are still not sure on how will people do door discipline. MY PERSONAL SUGGESTION : Exactly in front of door area on platform, Draw a EXIT & ENTRY row with queue COMPULSORY. Initially, like Japan trains allocate staff to check on door disciplines. This will become habit soon and commuters will follow same and will not allow others to break rules.
Some Questions & Doubts : Will ATVM Smart cards work as ticketing options for these AC locals ? (Hopefully YES), Will doors ever close seeing current crowd? Will Cooling be enough for such crowded trains, and more..
AC Train Timetable and Schedules
Train schedules as finalized for its initial 11 train services starting on Christmas day of 2017Routes / Stations / Halts
Fast train route, stations and halts will be little different than the usual Non-Ac trains.
Stations / Halts Between Churchgate and Virar : Will halt next at Mumbai central Dadar Bandra Andheri Borivali Bhayandar and Vasai Road.
Stations / Halts Between Churchgate and Borivali : Will halt next at Mumbai central Dadar Bandra Andheri.
Stations / Halts Between Mahalaxmi and Borivali : Slow train, Will Stop at all stations.
Train Timings Format Below : STARTING (REACHING).
- Churchgate to Virar : 8:54 Am (10:13 Am), 11:50 Am (1:05 Pm), 2:55 Pm (4:12 Pm), 7:49 Pm (9:15 Pm).
- Churchgate to Borivali : 5:49 Pm (6:41 Pm)
- Mahalaxmi to Borivali : 6:58 Am (7:50 Am)
- Borivali to Churchgate : 7:54 Am (8:50 Am), 6:55 Pm (7:44 Pm)
- Virar to Churchgate : 10:22 Am (11:46 Am), 1:18 Pm (2:44 Pm), 4:22 Pm (5:42 Pm), 9:24 Pm (10:48 Pm)
As detailed and planned initially
Note : This was as per planning before, Please refer above schedules which are updated.
- 2 Service (UP Route) From Borivali at 8:00 AM
- 2 Service (DOWN Route) From Churchgate at 6:00 PM
- Service running days : Daily
- Similar planning for Andheri and Bandra route
Only 1 single trains will be running for this 4 total services during peak office hours.
See Also : Regular Local Trains Fares.
Features Inside This Vestibular AC Local Train Rakes
These AC trains will sure bring relief, But how much is what is awaited seen in time tested days after 1st January. Everyone known the lifeline of Mumbai is overcrowded and challenges like door controls, other disciplines are still a question (I had a suggestion at start of this article, If you agree with me please comment below). Here are some of the features expected in thanda thanda cool cool local train of Mumbai.
- Style :Another benefit is that the train style is Vestibular, which means all the coaches will be connected from start to end. You can get inside from coach X and drop out from any other Y.
- Ladies Coach : No, unlike other NON AC local trains, As this is a Vestibular train, even ladies coach will be part of series. Gents (Men) are expected to not get into ladies section. Proper GREEN & RED strap markings like current local trains will be made to understand the difference. But what is feel is Men will get an excuse to bypass this section due to its Vestibular feature and this can be not comfortable for women (LADIES, YOUR COMMENTS EXPECTED BELOW).
- Luggage Compartment : No separate luggage compartments will be available in any of these AC locals.
- Coach For Physically Challenged : Some special care will be taken for physically challenged people, Reserved seats etc are expected along with convenience of getting down and boarding the local trains.
- Security : Since this train is one of similar kind like Delhi Metro AC trains, Security related issues will be all same comparatively. Like, till every door closed, train will not start. etc.
Please give suggestions and ideas for better commuting and use of this AC local trains in below comments and hope railway authorities goes through the same.