“Ro-Ro Ship (Roll On, Roll Off) vessel service in Mumbai is a dreamchild project plan of our Road Transport Minister Mr.Nitin Gadkari since 2016, Some legal hurdles till 2018 & 2019 and finally February / March 2020 the giant ship has arrived from Greece for public Ro-Ro service between Mumbai Mazgaon Dock (Also Known as Bhaucha Dhakka, Princess Dock, Ferry Wharf) and Mandwa Jetty at Alibaug.
This time & money saving service has lots more to offer to many daily commuters who rush to job and back with last ferry from Churchgate, Now can plan night shifts and more. Actually planned for those who planning out to reach Konkan, Goa beaches from South and Central of city. Options to travel are General, AC or Luxury along with your vehicle which is why the ship services primarily.
Welcome the first such every ferry service between Mumbai and Alibaug vessel called M2M-1. Below are some first looks Photos and about what to expect more..”
Quick Update 15th March 2020: Ro Ro Ship started its services with few trips on 15th March 2020.
Roll-on/Roll-off (RORO or ro-ro) Services
Also referred as RO-RO cars, Unlike the regular gateway of India ferry services, These are huge ferry ship vessel that are specially designed to carry Wheeled cargo’s like LMV (Car’s etc), HMV (Trucks etc), Trailers etc. Targeted to save time by alternately covering the long road distance via short sea water route with money also saved by individuals opting for such services.
Catering 24×7 services between two Jetty points (Mazgaon & Mandva) as a Roll On and Roll Off cars, finally Mumbai got its first Red coloured giant beautiful vessel almost ready for daily 24×7 Services by Maharashtra Maritime Board (MMB). Such services are already operating in cities like Goa and Karnataka, Gujarat services temporarily down is expected to reinstate soon.
In 2019, SCI (The Shipping Corporation of India) planned one such service between Mumbai and Nerul (Navi Mumbai). With this one already rolling, Other planned services is not far for operation in upcoming time. I personally feel many such services are actually needed in our Island city & suburban locations between Borivali, Bhayandar to Vasai and Virar, Bandra and Andheri Beaches to Malad Madh etc. Cheers & thumbs up for city’s first such vessel service.
Mr. Nitin Gadkari sir is one master mind to make optimum usage of technology and create opportunity & services using simple & useful ideas, taking maximum benefits at ground level related to transportation that also helps environment, create jobs and get rolling with various such public services. In 2016, He also acquired a piece of land from MbPT at Bhaucha Dhakka to build a terminal which is ready and all the Dredging work already finishes on both jetty points.
As per news Ro-Ro ship Services will be in 3 different travel classes (General, Luxury and AC Travel) which will be operating 24×7, 365 days which of course means Monsoons too. Got an instant thought of boarding this ship on one fine rainy day to reach mandva port ? It can be a perfect day picnic as Mandva jetty has lots in its todo list for a day.
Already many articles and informations floating on web regarding this Ro-Ro services, So i have thought of the quickest possible way to give information about this car services with below short highlights. Hope you like and i expect to get some comments below from those who experienced this services starting this february end 2020.
- Ferry Details : The vessel is named M2M-1 and one can also track the current position of same via a portal here. It’s a huge 95 meter long ship which goes at 15 Knots speed and is 18 meter wide too.
- Operating Jetty Docks : Mumbai Mazgaon Port/Dock to Mandwa in Alibaug and Back.
- Ro-Ro Vessel Capacity : 16 to 18 Small Big Buses, About 180 to 200 Cars and 500 Passengers.
- Trip Time : One Ro-Ro ferry trip will take about 45 minutes with an extra 15 minutes for loading and unloading vehicles, Which is about a total time of 60 Minutes (1 Hour). 2 Hours saved compared to a road trip taken for same.
- Individual Ride Fares : Although the fares may change from time to time, Initially planned ride charges will be Rs.220 (General Class), Rs.330 (AC travel) & Rs.550 (Luxury Ride). Details will be updated soon.
- Vehicle Charges : For Cars, Trucks, Buses etc, Depending on size and weight of vehicles, Initial approximate charges will range between Rs.1100 to Rs.1500 to Rs.1900 per ride.
- Operating Timings : Initially every 3 hours, 24×7, Also during Monsoon. Once received proper response, Another ship is already planned to be introduced on same route.
- Distance & Time Saved : From Mazgaon Dock to Mandwa Jetty at Alibaug, It takes about 20 Km sea ride (1 Hour ride), Where as via Road is shows 104 Km on Google map (Approximate 2 Hours 57 Minutes, With little traffic, It goes beyond 3 hours Minimum). Thats a huge saving of time & energy.
- Money Saved : Mr.Jayant Patil (MLA, PWP) explained how cheap it is to use this sea services. The Per Km transport cost via Ro-Ro ship sea route is as low as 25 Paise, Compared to Rs.2 per Km via Railways and Rs.7 Per Km distance via Road travel.
More details about this services will be updated as and when received. Stay tuned and speak your heart by giving as review and ratings on Google on how you liked the information here.
See Also : Alibaug’s Lighthouse.
*Pictures Courtesy : Social Media Forwards.