“Its 2016 and Mumbai Bird Race is on 14th February, the annual event, schedules almost in February for those bird lovers to give personal attention and get the maximum species found on race day in and around Mumbai’s famous bird watching locations. Let’s check how to register and detailed schedules of this bird race..”
Bird Race Event in Mumbai
Like those famous Marathon events held annually, some nature activist like ‘Sunjoy Monga’ , ‘Ravi Vaidyanathan’ and ‘Pravin Subramanian’ and the crew started annual bird race as a special event that will attract all the bird photographers, bird watchers and lovers of city, who can join this event with simple per-registration and help to understand city birds and its various species, old and new in Mumbai. This year event was scheduled on 26th February 2012 and was the successful 8th annual race day since it started during 2005. Since then about 200 to 300 different species of birds are found every year, and those beautiful looking birds hunt was then extended to other 14 cities in Indian as of now.
No particular per-training or any type of certification is required to join this race, you can be professional or just weekend bird lover, hobby, expert or just and enthusiast citizen who want to spend time watching birds and count species capturing in your digital camera, or watching through those binoculars in dense forest and bird sanctuaries of Mumbai like Maharashtra Nature Park, National Park, Botanical Garden of Colaba and many other bird watching locations, You are welcomed at any age.
Race Schedules and Registrations
Every year since 2005, Mumbai bird race is announced online and possibly some newspapers which details the rules and registration options. Like for 2012, it was held in February. We will be happy if organizers of this event can contact us for upcoming race schedules, with details of timings and online and offline registration options as currently we do not have their online existence details.
One needs to have a team of 4 to 5 to get registered. One you receive the registration confirmation, you are liable to participate in the race. If you don’t have team of at least 4 people in group, you can contact others who are willing to joining the bird watching race of Mumbai, if you you do not find any, then just register as and individual and get guidance from organizers.
Bird Race Rules Regulations
- You must have a team of 4 or more in single group out of which at least 1 member should be a birder (who has knowledge about various species and know how and where one can find birds etc) and is eligible as leader captain of group.
- Every group in bird race should have a unique name, and the name should/can be of any bird.
- You can do your bird hunt activity with in range of 60 km in and around Mumbai city.
- More then one team can be in one single location.
- You have to log all the birds in the logbook and submit it on or before 6:00 PM which is the end time of capturing and watching birds.
- You cannot interact or discuss of your bird race progress with other team members or you will be disqualified from the race.
- After 6:00 logbooks will be seen and the highest number of unique bird species finder team will be rewarded with prize.
- You must carry all the belonging like binoculars, Cap, Log Book etc when on trek for bird watch.
- You must be a registered member to start any of this activities with written permission as in terms.
Note : Please refer the official website (See below section) for race detailed rules and regulations, requirements related updated information.
Year 2016 Bird Race
This year the enthusiasts will race to capture best of old and new birds of Mumbai, with rules laid down as group of 4 only. Date for 2016 is fixed on 14th February and registrations are on at its official page.
Previous Year 2015
Year 2015 brought more enthusiasts on field with varieties of camera’s and those zooming lenses for those beautiful flying creatures in Mumbai. Although the sad side experienced by more then 65 teams was that the regular 6 to 8 species of those birds seen each year in the race was totally missing for the click capture and shoot action as the reason is that the wetlands of Sewri, Murbad, Vashi Bridge and places like SGNP and karnala century is getting deteriorated in quality day by day. Mumbai Bird of this year race was located at Murbad water/mud flat which was the dark open feathered snake bird originally called ‘Oriental Darter’. Every year on an average about 100 to 125 species of birds are seen alone at 2 major locations which are Borivali national Park and Karnala Bird Sanctuary.
Lost and Found Bird Species in race 2015
LOST SPECIES : As said unlike every year this year also shown some decline in species among which are Quail, White Stork, Oystercatcher, Black Redstart, Ruddy Turnstone, Ashy Woodswallow, Larks and Harriers (Rarely Seen at a location of two in city).
NEW SPECIES FOUND : The excitement starts when new species which are rarely seen at this locations during bird race are sighted suddenly. Among others were Oriental Darter as said the Bird of the year, Couple of Woodpeckers species, Spotted Owl, Red Spurfowl, Nakta bird, Sea-eagle in white, Blue capped rock thrush, Caspian Tern and the Black Eagle.
- Home Residential Address Of Bollywood Actors Celebrities Stars – Mumbai 548 views
- Mumbai Traffic Rules 2017 – Road Safety and Traffic Signs 543 views
- Mumbai Metro Trains – Routes | Timetable | Fares | Stations | Tickets 372 views
- How to Get Vehicle Registration and Owner Details Via SMS – Mumbai 333 views
- Movie Theatres Ticket Rates – Mumbai Cinema Theatres Ticket Prices 320 views
- Telephone Directory – MTNL Mumbai Directory Services 318 views
- Grant Road Station Attractions – Mumbai 302 views
- Picnic Spots Near Mumbai – Overnight and One Day Picnic Spots. 285 views
- Chor Bazaar – Mumbai Second Hand Product Bazaar and Stolen Thieves Market 256 views
- Online Appointment For Learner License – RTO Mumbai 220 views