“For those looking for regional languages library in Mumbai to read books available in Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati and other regional languages of India, David Sassoon library is best, located at Kala Ghoda not far from Churchgate station. Read more details and contact details.. “
Since 1847, David Sassoon Library is one of the best and famous libraries in Mumbai. It was also listed among 47 classical libraries of the world in 2006. This is one of those in Mumbai which has literatures in regional languages like Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi with the oldest books of the library being of 1798. The idea of few young mechanics with vision and promotion of learning and enhancing knowledge has helped today’s citizens in Mumbai to reach this collections of old times books gem.
Mr. David Sassoon donated Rs.60,000 a huge amount during 1863 for the construction of this classical looking library, which now has about 2000 and above life members and about 300 to 400 regular annual members with Annual membership fees of Rs.1200 and for life membership the charges is Rs.10,000 (Rs.500 security deposit extra).
- Reading Room is available.
- Patron Membership – Rs.15000 and Life Membership Rs.10,000.
- General OR Regular Membership (1 year) : Rs. 2200 ( which is, Rs.750 Refundable Deposit + Entrance fee Rs.250 (Non Refundable) + Yearly Subscription charges Rs.1200 ).
Kindly note, Membership and other fees may change from time to time
Library Address and How to Reach
- Address : 152/Mahatma Gandhi Road, Off. David Sassoon Library Marg, Kala Ghoda, Fort, Mumbai – 400023
- Contact : +91-22-22843703
- Nearest Station : Churchgate in Western Railway Route.
You Might Also Like to refer other libraries in Mumbai : Asiatic Town Hall, Digital Library at Andheri, Free Library at Dhobi Talao, Free Public Libraries, JN Petit and University Library.