” Started in 1907 and as of 2023, This narrow gauge cute looking toy train runs between Neral and Matheran Hill Station. Often limited its service between Aman Lodge and Hill station due to heavy rains, Now it is 100% operation and has 2 trains per day from both ends.
The 11.6 km ride of this toy train is fun to be in those cute little carriages (Total of 4). It takes anywhere between 2 Hours to 2 Hour 15 Minutes from Neral to Matheran and vice-versa.
Below are train schedules (Timetable), Fares per person, and most frequently asked questions (FAQ) one needs to know about the train, coaches, and services with contact details of respective offices to plan a happy trip.”
Updates August 2023: Toy train is working as of January 2023 from Matheran to Neral and Back with a total of 2 train services from each location. See below for detailed timings and an updated fare chart.
Updates August 2019: The toy train route has been badly affected due to heavy rain and is closed as of date. Hope September or October brings back the fun ride on the track.
Updates December 2018 – January 2019: From 1st week of December 2018, 6 Coaches train with a total of 6 services between Neral station and Matheran. 3 services up till Matheran and 3 from same till Neral station. Between Aman Lodge and Matheran instead of 6 Coaches, 8 Coaches train will function. Soon an AC coach will be added to the existing train for convenience.
Updates April 2018: 18th April is world heritage day and that was when a trial run of a New 2 coaches Diesel Steam engine was done successfully. Now anyone can book this little steam engine train at Rs. 55000 (Return Journey) and One way Rs. 28000, which will run between Aman Lodge and Matheran at speed limits of 8 LMPH.
Matheran Toy Train Facts
- Stations Short Codes: Matheran (MAE), Neral (NRL).
- When Was Toy Train Started: Work started in 1901 and opearational on 15th April 1907.
- Achievements: Listed in UNESCO’s Heritage in 2005.
- Distance Between Neral and Matheran Station : 21 Km
- Station Between: Neral Waterpoint Aman Lodge Matheran
- Toy Train Time Taken: 2 Hours Approximate.
- Train Attractions: Slow Moving, Deep Valley view, Mini Train seating, 127 Degree Curve where complete train itself can be seen, Monkey along the pathway.
- Total Coaches: 4 Regular coaches and 1 Fully AC semi-luxurious vista dome carriage. 1 Parcel van and 1 guard brake van.
- Nearest Railway Station to Reach Toy Train: Neral (NRL) on central railway route. Direct local trains from CSMT, Dadar, and Kalyan.
- Toy train related enquiry helplines: 02148230264 or IRCTC short code helpline 139
Year 2023, Timetable and Fares
Currently, only 2 train rides from each end of the station in a day. It takes about 2 hours one way from Neral to Matheran and vice-versa. The total distance covered is 21 Km.
Neral Station (NRL) to Matheran Station (MAE) Train Timings
Daily 2 Rides From Neral: First train in Morning at 8:50 Am (Reaches the hill at 11:30). Second train starts at 2:20 Pm and Reaches around 5:00 Pm.
Matheran Station (MAE) to Neral Station (NRL) Train Timings
Daily From Matheran: First train in the afternoon at 2:45 Pm (Reaches Neral at about 5:00 Pm) and the Second train at 4:20 Pm which reaches downhill at around 6:45 Pm.
Second class fare is Rs.75 per person (Adult) and Rs.45 (Children). First-class carriage will cost Rs.305 for Adults and Rs.180 for Children. The morning train also has an extra carriage which is called ‘Vistadome’, A fully Air Conditioned coach that cost Rs.655 per person.
A maximum of 4 tickets per person will be given 45 Minutes of the journey. Children aged (5 to 11 years).
Toy Train FAQ (Most Frequently Asked Questions)
- How to reach the toy train station at Neral from Mumbai?
Neral railway station is located about 90 km from Mumbai on the Central railway route. Local trains which start from CSTM or DADAR towards Kasara and beyond stop at Neral Railway station. The Toy train station is adjacent to the railway station.
- Is Toy train working/running as of 2023?
Yes, the Toy train is very much working as of January 2023. It has stopped in the past due to many reasons, And major reasons being technical glitches and heavy rainfall in monsoon. It is recommended to contact Toy train station inquiry number 02148230264 or IRCTC short code helpline 139 before you plan your trip.
- When did the toy train start operations from Matheran to Neral (Full Route)?
During October 2021, after all, trials on its Narrow gauge tracks the train welcomed commuters to enjoy a complete ride of 21 km which takes 2 hours time.
- How old is the toy train?
It is now more than a century since this cute-looking Train is in operation. Sir Adamjee Peerbhoy & Mr. Abdul Husein Adamjee Peerbhoy are the brainchildren behind this light railway who built this train under the directions of the then-called BOMBAY governance. The work commenced in 1901 and the first ride took off in 1907. It took Rs.16,00000/- (Sixteen Lacs) to construct this railway.
That also means, Britishers also enjoyed the Mathern train ride since it commenced.
- What district Matheran hill station fall under?
The mountains on which this train operates are under the Raigad district (Western Ghats of Sahyadri).
- How to book tickets online?
Currently, One cannot book tickets online. One has to reach the train station 45 minutes before the next departure time to avail next train tickets.
- Are their public toilets/washrooms available inside toy train coaches?
NO, Currently no washrooms/toilet facilities are available inside any of these coaches on this train.
- Instead of a train, Can I go to Mathen hill station in my car?
The toy train is just an option. You can reach the hill station to Dasturi Naka, From here you need to walk or hire horse or hand-pulled cart.
- Can we carry our luggage inside this train?
Yes, feel free to carry your needful luggage to and from Nerul and Matheran stations.
- Is Matheran Open for tourists in 2023?
Yes, Matheran welcomes tourists on large scale. If you planning to get via Toy train, Yes it is working, Still better to enquire (See the start of this FAQ).
- On what fuel this train works currently?
As of January, i.e 1907 the toy train operates using Diesel as its fuel. The good news is that recently it was declared that it will be replaced with Electric and Hydrogen propelled versions of fuel which is totally Eco-Friendly and serves the purpose.
- Are there Bulb lights and Fans inside the train?
YES, both are available and use solar energy.
- Total how many coaches toy train have?
Total of 4 coaches (Also referred to as Carraige), Of which 3 are general and 1 is first class.
- How many stops/stations are between Matheran and Neral?
Total of 3 stops between both ends. From Neral the first railway stop is Jummapatti at a height of M.S.L.245-01M, the Second Railway stop is a Water pipe and 3rd station is Aman Lodge at a height above M.S.L.758-95m.
- At what speed does the train moves?
An average to the fixed speed of 20 Kilometers is how fast this train runs.
- What is that famous tunnel called from which train passes?
Only one small tunnel from which this train passes, It is famously called ‘1 Kiss Tunnel’ obviously for the fun of the same that goes with the name.
- Are there any other toy trains in Mumbai?