“Recorded as the costliest residence of Mumbai in 2015, Altamount Road has always been on top when it comes to the Affluent & Elite residents in the city surrounded by greenery. Be it the Ambani’s (Antilia), Lodha’s (Altamount Project) or Jindal’s (Highest Cost Apartment), and many more industrialists or selective Indian of 19th Century officials during the British era in Mumbai who worked as interpreters.
Altamount Road is just another ordinary street at Gowalia Tank, Tardeo in the South of Mumbai, Yet it is one of those costliest homes to extraordinary business tycoons in the city for which I call it a Billionaire street. Below are some details up to my knowledge..”
Altamount Road Antilia (Antilla)
Picture Courtesy: Sahdev Panda
Photo Courtesy: 53n10ration A
This street in Mumbai is distinct when it comes to property rates and many other things. It is one of those very few locations like Malabar hills, Worli Sea faces in South Mumbai which does not compete or be in normal/competitive pricing per square feet / square meter for residential apartments. It was always like that, But until late 2012 and 2013, Altamount road was in the news for the making of one of the costliest 27-floor residences owned by one family, none-other than Mr. Mukesh Ambani of Reliance Group companies.
It was this time when Altamount Road, which is a connecting road to a very famous Peddar road was searched more than before. News articles flooded with a few details of an upcoming amazing tower which will be 173.12 meters high named ‘Antilia’ (Initially named ‘Antilla’). It is a beautiful piece of architecture, as high as a normal 60-story building completely owned and resided by just one affluent Ambani family, (Mukesh Ambani in particular).
He resided at Cuffe Parade before this and had a dream of building a mega home & residential tower at Altamount Road for which the work begin in 2006. Let’s have some highlights of what makes Antilia so unique and a famous resident in Mumbai and also worldwide.
- Imagine those starting 6 floors of a total of 27 are reserved for Owners imported car parking only. Wait, to finish that I must add, a total of 168 such parking lots reserved for visitors, I mean just wow, who says there are parking problems in Mumbai city? One needs to learn from this one building which has such multi-level parking at Altamont Road.
- If the initial news were correct, The seventh floor is reserved for car services.
- Let us climb higher and go to the 8th floor. The fun and entertainment begin with a mini-theatre here with about 50 people of seating capacity.
- The Workout floors, Health is wealth and no money can buy health, One needs to earn it well. So, I will call it a health floor above.
- About 600 staff working full time inside Antilia including the Air Space staff which needs a control room kind too which is available here.
- Special transparent glass-made apartments for guests and family friends, No need to add what an amazing view it is of the city or just the Arabian Sea.
This was just one example of the costliest street in Mumbai, ‘The Altamont road’. Let me guide you with some more details in and around this street.
Lodha Altamount Project
Picture Courtesy : Jayanta Banerjee
A beautiful 40 story ‘Lodha Altamount Tower’ which is ready and stands tall near Antilia broke the benchmark in the property price industry in 2015, when a duplex apartment on the 34th and 35th floor was sold at the sky-rocket price of Rs.160 Crores to ‘The Jindals’, one of the industrialists known for his company ‘Jindal Drugs’. That price for a 10,000 square feet area was the costliest at that point in 2015 and was paid by this affluent businessman which broke all records in the Mumbai property market.
Talking about ‘Lodha Altamount’, a project by Lodha Group, has all the facilities that an elite family needs. This property where Lodha Tower stands now was once a residential called ‘Washington House’, It was owned by US Consulate with their staff staying before being taken over by Lodha. To date in the vicinity of Altamount Road, many other consulates have their property here, Some of those consulates are Japanese, Indonesian, Belgian, and Chinese connecting Carmichael Road.
Many such Billionaires and industrialists stays here and near the street residential of this Posh area of South Mumbai for a very long now. No doubt why will Altamount Road not be on the top 10 costliest locations in the world as per wealth bulletin 2008. It was this time in 2007 & 2008 when Mukesh Ambani revealed his dream home to news media which would cost around $1 Billion, A Mega apartment tower to be built at Altamount Road with a square meter cost calculated then was $25000.
As detailed, this famous residential street of Mumbai ranked on top when it comes to property pricing. Projects like Lodha Altamount and the most searched address at 39, Altamount Road online show up. Keeping aside such huge projects, below are property rates and examples of current residents on sale (As of December 2018 at various property portals) with their respective prices and other details (Approximate Rates and Other Details For Reference Only).
- 2 BHK (950 Square Feet Super built-up Area) Residential Apartment in May Flower Apartment for Rs.3.11 Crores. Per Square feet, the rate goes to 32700.
- 3 BHK (2000 Square Feet Super built-up Area) Residential Apartment in Alt View Tower for Rs.10 Crores. Per Square foot, the rate goes to 50000.
- 3 BHK (1850 Square Feet Super built-up Area) Residential Apartment in Pushpak Apartment for Rs.16 Crores. Per Square feet, the rate goes to 86400.
- 3 BHK (1120 Square Feet Super built-up Area) Residential Apartment for Rs.10 Crores. Per Square feet, the rate goes to 89300.
- 4 BHK (2001 Square Feet Super built-up Area) Residential Apartment in Alt View Tower for Rs.10 Crores. Per Square foot, the rate goes to 49900.
- 4 BHK (4500 Square Feet Super built-up Area) Residential Apartment in Lodha Altamount Project for Rs.32.53 Crores. Per Square feet, the rate goes to 72300.
- 5 BHK (7200 Square Feet Super built-up Area) Residential Apartment in Lodha Altamount Project for Rs.55 Crores. Per Square feet, the rate goes to 76400.
More such properties (Apartments and Commercial areas) are on the list. A few more housing societies / Apartments to be named here are Usha Kiran, Meher Apartment, Khushnuma Apartment, Eventa, Crystal Apartment, Prabhu Kutir, etc.
Talking about commercial properties here, Famous Brands like ‘AZA’ is located here at 21, Prithvi Apartment, Altamount Road, Opposite South African Consulate.
How to Reach Altamount Road
Reaching Altamount Road, Mumbai: This Billionaire’s Street (In 1990, Renamed to S K Barodawalla Marg) is located in the South of Mumbai. To date, every taxi driver and others in the locality refer and know this place as Altamount Road only, and hardly anyone around the city will guide you when you call up with the new name K Barodawalla Marg’. The nearest railway station is Grant Road (West). On Google map when searched, its address is referred to as :
Grant Road (West)
Latitude and longitude of the Altamount Road
Other Streets and Connecting Roads
Some of the connecting roads/streets to Altamount Road are Anstey Road, Carmichael Road, ML Dahanukar Road, Peddar Road (Main Road and Very Famous), and August Kranti Marg, Kemps Corner Flyover, Ridge Road.
- Grant Road Station (West): 1.5 Km, 11 Minutes by road, and 21 minutes walking.
- Mumbai International Airport (Terminal 2): 21.7 Km, Takes approximately 1 Hour.
- Mumbai Central Railway Station (Junction): 2.5 Km, Takes about 15 Minutes.
- Bandra Kurla Complex: 16.7 Km, Takes about 50 Minutes.
See More in