“Built in 1869, Now its 2017 and ‘Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Market’ (Formerly known as ‘Crawford Market’) in the name of ‘Arthur Crawford’, when city was called ‘Bombay’. The then in the name of Arthur Crawford is now called upon remembering a social reformer of India called ‘Mahatma Jyotiba Phule’, still is called ‘Crawford Market’ between citizens when pointing this location, is located near the Head Quarters of Police in South Mumbai (The Island City or as Referred as SOBO). The very old, Iconic and famous wholesale market for Fruits and vegetables then is still a preferred location to purchase many festive decoration stuff, dry fruits, vegetables etc. Although, not the only wholesale market of Mumbai, this place still gives the best deals compared to location shops and other places in western and central suburbs. Fun of purchasing with cheaper deals and more options to select from is what this market is known for apart from its Heritage iconic looks. Apart from special Diwali and Christmas shopping, their are many more shops like plastic crockery, chocolates and pets and birds sold too..”
During vacations and festival seasons this market is too crowded and apart from connected BMC public pay and park system, parking is a challenge if you plan your vehicle to shop here. This beautiful architecture building is one of the oldest of its time since Britishers ruled Mumbai and still looks very different in nights (See Pictures), Considered as heritage structure. Till 1996 its use to be the only wholesale market of Mumbai city, Then with time, the transportation improved and need of bigger and better space shifted the wholesale market tag to Navi Mumbai’s APMC market. Small big shops with multi-sections for fruits, vegetables, dry fruits and other nuts shop are sold in wholesale rates, just that the small gullies (walkable lanes inside) are too crowded in evening time. At one corner of this market one can also find imported products like cheese and chocolate etc. Everything from fruits and vegetable to small big party decoration stuff like candles, children caps, snow spray, balloons, sweets, chocolates, biscuits, bakery products, etc are all found here. One also gets variety of imported toys for children and toddlers here. Although this place is not a tough bargain crack as prices are comparatively discounted here, One can try to bargain few deals if buying in quantity. The target should always be best deal in cheapest price like every Mumbaikar does.
Market is open from Monday to Saturday from 11:00 am till 8:00 pm and best timings to visit here is Morning and afternoon between 3:30 – 4:00 pm.
Location Address and Nearest Station to Reach
Crawford is quite connected to CST station if coming from Central Mumbai Route and the nearest station for Western Railway route is ‘Marine Lines’ at just 10 to 15 minutes walking distance from railway station, and 5 minutes by Taxi.
Other Attractions Near Crawford Market
- Charni Road Markets
- Famous Badshah Falooda Exactly Opposite Market for snacks and refreshment, See menu.
- Jama Masjid, An Old Muslim Mosque.
- Kalbadevi Market, Famous for clothes shopping.
- Very old and famous Mumbadevi Temple.
- Zaveri Bazaar (Jewelery market)
- Mohammad Ali road famous during EID and also for small big shopping.
- Tourist Attraction, Gateway Of India.
- Nariman Point Promenade.
- Also checkout attractions and their nearest station here and area wise attractions.
- Home Residential Address Of Bollywood Actors Celebrities Stars – Mumbai 818 views
- Mumbai Traffic Rules 2017 – Road Safety and Traffic Signs 705 views
- Mumbai Metro Trains – Routes | Timetable | Fares | Stations | Tickets 562 views
- Picnic Spots Near Mumbai | Overnight and One day Picnic Spots. 476 views
- Grant Road Station Attractions – Mumbai 457 views
- How to Get Vehicle Registration and Owner Details Via SMS – Mumbai 442 views
- Chor Bazaar – Mumbai Second Hand Product Bazaar and Stolen Thieves Market 402 views
- Online Appointment For Learner License – RTO Mumbai 400 views
- Movie Theatres Ticket Rates – Mumbai Cinema Theatres Ticket Prices 359 views
- Road Offences and Penalty Amounts Fines in Mumbai 2016 265 views