“It is already the beginning of year 2020 & Last few years brought much required move of awaited ‘Online learner license appointment’ procedure by Mumbai RTO (Regional Transport Office).
No latest updates but, As of 2019, Below are the step by step updated guide for procuring online learning license, Forms to be downloaded & filled, Fees, details of Test Exam questions at RTO, Document & ID Proof required and website link..”
First Online Learner License procedure was started at Andheri RTO (Benefiting Applicants staying at Western Suburb between Dahisar and Bandra) and this one is the most crowded RTO in western suburban region. Till December 2016, busy citizens had to rely upon some agents ( Typical touts ) who earned high income due to the time consuming and confusing offline procedure of standing in queues early morning for applications.
So finally after much pressure & media shame on agents and touts operating at Andheri RTO, on 30th December they started the Online learner license process and accepted application only via their website. Soon Tardeo, Wadala, Thane, Vasai Virar and other RTO offices in Mumbai and Suburban went online (Hope all are operative now) with same process via Mahatranscom official website.
Permanent License : You might also like to know the process of getting online appointment to get your permanent driving licence within 6 months of learner’s license.
Step By Step Learner License Process 2020
Updates 2020 : Latest updates awaited as of current year. Kindly comment with your current experience.
Sad Past, Now Improved: As in news media and discussions it was heard that Mumbai RTO offices takes about 4 months to just give the learner license now, forget about getting the permanent one. In Mumbai’s one of leading newspaper (DNA) 1st September 2015 article, sad face of cheat was detailed where in as said 4 months required for application process by RTO and same license was easily procured in few days upon giving high amount up to Rs.2000/- extra via motor training schools and touts. That was really sad and needed the much awaited step (NOTE Anti Corruption Whatsapp Helpline Number is active since March 2016 now for citizens for any type of corruption).
Steps to Get Online Learner License Appointment
Steps in Brief
Fill Your (Applicant) Details Upload Required Documents Upload Photo and Signature Booking Learner’s Licence Test Slot Payment of Learner Licence Fees.
Steps in Detail
- Go to Maharashtra Transport Department Website learner license link.
- Access the question bank PDF which will be helpful during License test at your respected RTO.
- Next goto (Ministry of Road Transport & Highway) website link which will give 3 options of which you select your current option :
1. I Do not have any licence (Default if you are looking out for Fresh Learner’s Licence first time).
2. Hold Driving License Already.
3. Hold Learner’s License already.
4. If you are any of the one like (Physically Challenged OR Foreigner Diplomats OR Refugees OR Foreigners But not Diplomats OR Repatriate OR Ex-Servicemen), Then Select your status.
Fill up the License number & birth date details and follow further instructions till end.
- Download Form 1 (Physical Fitness Declaration) & New Form 2 (Actual Learner’s license form) with vehicles and other details . In form 1 fill in your personal and current address details & a declaration (NOTE : A medical certificate of fitness is required while submitting all documents OFFLINE along with these forms).
- Upon following the above steps and filling both Offline forms & Online (Via Drop Down) link, You will receive a appointment confirmation email (Or possibly and SMS) from license authority office which will have a ‘Appointment Receipt’ and Date.
- As you have got receipt and appointment token which have your DATE & TIME details to visit the RTO Office, you have to reach before half hour time along with all the forms and documents listed on that website link.
More Details on Online Form Filling
Important About Forms & Download Links : I am linking directly to the FORMS for ease. Still, Once on the transport department website, Check for any updated form available as they may change from time to time and may confuse you here.
Form 1 Filling : Form 1 has 2 sections to fill which are CMV Form 1 (Personal Details & Fitness Declaration) & CMV Form 2 (Medical Certificate) to be filled by a authorized medical practitioner as referred by state government). This form is basically a fitness form self signed and approved by a doctor.
Form 2 Filling : (Rule 10) This form is the actual on line learning license application form which required details as :
- Detail of what type of vehicle you need to get learner’s license (Gear, Non Gear etc)
- 5 x 6 cm size photograph (Total 3, But i prefer get 5 as you never know and extra is always good) to be stick on form.
- Personal details (Full name, Parents name, Permanent and Temporary address, Date & Place of Birth, Education and Body ID mark, Blood group, Previous license if any with details, medical fitness (Form 1 and 2), Details of Motor driving school like Name and Address, Fees amount, Signature and Thumb impression, Parents / Guardian declaration under section 7, Sub section (2) of Motor Vehicle Act 1988.
Online License Appointment
In Case any problems, You can call up on their listed helpline and support contact number : 040-23494777 between 10:00 am to 6:00 Pm (working hours on regular working days).
Paying Fees : Rs.30 (Each Class). I believe with EACH CLASS they mean for any type of Learning license (Gear, Non Gear etc) is Rs.30. (Note : The Amount may differ a little if there are some changes).
Action Part at RTO : (See Procedure at RTO office section below). In simple words Paying fees, Forms and Document verification, Main Test, Fitness Test, Filling & Receiving license cards. IMPORTANT !! As per transport department website, 60% and above at the Exam test at RTO and you have passed and will receive your LL immediately. Else you have to repeat complete Online process again.
Documents Required :
- Age Proof : Birth Certificate Proof (Valid Documents considered here are School Leaving, Gram Panchayat / Municipal Corporation certificate of birth, Age Proof by Civil Surgeon).
- Address / Residence Proof : Although the link provided on their page do not detail about exact documents as valid Resident proof.(On their old website they detaild valid documents as Voter’s ID card, Passport, Life Insurance Certificate, If Employed with State / Central Government then salary slip)
- Citizenship Proof (Again not detailed, But Aadhaar Card & Passport might do).
- Parents required if applicant in minor (16 to 18 age) and Learner license for two wheeler without gear.
It is Recommended you to carry 3 Passport size photographs (Few extra is always better) and all important documents (ORIGINAL) which may be helpful any time.
The Old Form That Looked Like Below (Sample Image Only)
First Online License Appointment Implementation Day
Its was 30th December 2016 and as usual citizen of Mumbai queued to get forms and applications at Andheri RTO office. It was chilling cold and few also came as early as 5:30 to 6:00 am as they can save time finishing early and get back to routine job and other work.
Every day the Manual process form / application’s token window opens at 8:30 which got delayed to 9:00 am and finally opened at 9:30 with about 350 to 450 people waiting. Out of all, only 7 people were allowed as they have got date and time with token via their online portal e-form application process.
Although the information was declared publicly with leading newspapers of Mumbai, Many didn’t had idea of this change and have missed and went through the same old Motor training schools as usual to apply for their licenses. Those regular touts were angry as their time is finish like those movie ticket black marketing touts and will miss a huge business from innocent citizens.
Online License Application Age Limits
For this new online appointment process, age limits are set according to the type of vehicle for which you want license to learn, Details as below along with total number of internet learner license application tokens limits per day and timings :
- Age Group 16 to 18 Years : Up to 50CC gearless Motorcycles allowed. Parent’s consent is compulsory for this age.
- Age Group above 18 Years : All the vehicles falling under NON-TRANSPORT License group, which are Motorcycles, Cars and Jeeps which are under (LIGHTWEIGHT VEHICLE MOUNT, LVM).
- Age 20 and Above : This age and above can apply online for their learner license for TRANSPORT VEHICLES category which are LVM (TR), HGV & HPV (Transport), Auto-rickshaw (TR).
Total Applications Daily Limit and Timings : Total of 350 appointment tokens will be issues online and timings for same will be between 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Portal’s e-form have option to select timings according to your own convenience.
Procedure at RTO Office
- Verification of all the documents will be done by RTO authorities along with some check like vision test, colour blindness test and physical fitness.
- You will have to pay learner license fee now.
- Data entry will be done next following with your individual Biometrics (i.e Thumb Impression, Signature, Digital Photographs taken).
- Next, you will be guided with road safety education and learner test preparation.
- Finally you have to give an online test about your knowledge about traffic sign and road related (20 objective questions). IMP : Go through the links below for test preparation and generic help on road traffic related.
- 12 and above correctly answered are considered passed otherwise failed. You may reappear again after 7 days.
- TEST RESULT : You passed or failed will be declared on the spot.
- If passed, you will receive ‘RTO Learner Driving License on the spot’. Your one time non-renewable learning license is valid for 6 months. If expired you will have to apply fresh.
- Finally, within 30 days (within 6 month period) you may appear for final test to get your PERMANENT LICENSE at same RTO Office.