“DO NOT DRINK and DRIVE, Its already 2018 and Fines and Penalties have been increased for the the mission by Mumbai Traffic police department for road safety started on 28th June 2007 (11 years now) brought good results because of the strict rules, penalties and fines for first and second time offenders. Let see what are the alcohol level and related fines and how Mumbai city getting safer since then..”
Updates, February 2018 : Now getting away by bribing a traffic police is difficult, if caught drunk on wheels. Below are the updates on how Technology comes into picture to keep away bribe seekers and bribe takers.
Remember !!! The high amount and increase in fines is not another way of making money, The focus and target is YOUR OWN safety and to avoid suffering of the family members. If one thinks things happens in neighbour only, Remember everyone is neighbour to other and it can happen to you too.Ongoing Anti Drink and Drive Campaign 2018 in Mumbai
Its a matter of shame and reputation that Mumbai traffic police have to start such campaigns. It proves to the fact that, Citizens lack civic sense and are careless about self and others life. But the matter of fact is this is.
So, Mumbai traffic police got strict with road offences, when it came to road and driver safety along with other pedestrians walking along. According to the news in the leading news papers of city, here is what is the status was in 2012 :
- Anti Drink and Drive campaign started in June 2007.
- About 15 crores and more is collected as fines and penalties from drunk drivers (First and Second time offence included).
- As of 2012, second time offenders have a good result with drastic reduction, Yet first timers rise is up.
- Police patrolling on drunk drivers is regular. They watch two wheelers, four wheelers and other vehicles specially on weekends and festivals as this are the major days of celebration and drink driving cases in city.
- Breathalysers are used to check the alcohol level, this device can read total mg of alcohol present per 100 ml of blood, immediate results are shows if the driver is drink or not.
- Traffic police create awareness via SMS alerts, hoardings and other flash media advertising’s on road. They just need road safety that’s it.
- About approximate 77000 cases registered till then, about 42000 of such drunk drivers are kept for 6 month simple imprisonment jail and above 37000 licenses are suspended in this mission till date.
- Finally the awareness and strict fines, jail punishments are giving good results and its major of first timers who are caught now.
The below updated fine amount (Penalties) was in talk since many years. Its 2017 and hope the fines collected are according to the below chart and is already implemented. As per news this is already applicable according to Motor Vehicle Act (MVA S 185) in Mumbai / Maharashtra / India. Please share your experiences and updates about same in comments below.
Your license may get suspended even if your are a first time offender. If the offence is proved with your alcohol level (per 100 ml of blood) exceeded, You may be fined or jailed or both depending upon the respective individual case in court of law.
Usually, If the Alcohol level is not very high and if the offence is first time, You may be left off with penalty and a strict warning. But as already said, depends on case to case.
|Alcohol Level||Fines penalties and Jail|
|150 mg or above per 100 ml blood||First time offence charged Rs.5000 and 2 years imprisonment. Repeated offence within 3 years Rs.10000 fine plus 4 years jail.|
|60 to 150 mg per 100 ml blood||1 year imprisonment and/or Rs.4000 fine. Second and repeated offence attracts 3 years jail and/or Rs.8000 fine.|
|30 to 60 mg alcohol per 100 ml blood||Rs.2000 or/and 6 months jail.|
|30 mg or lower per 100 ml||Offence is not considered at this level of alcohol in blood.|
After so many years, Finally a reliable solutions is out to grab the bribers and also those on duty taking it. Although now it is tough to bribe a traffic police like before and get away with any of road offence, To curb with drink, drive and bribe if caught problem, a new technology is used so that no one can be left of such offences that creates casualties.
As seen above, Fine of Rs.2000 is what they run away of caught and start the bribe game. But now here is a catch, ALL THE BREATHALYSERS ARE LINKED TO CONTROL ROOM. Yes, the proof that you used a test BREATHALYSERS at what exact time and where, along with your photo reaches traffic control room immediately.
Till date it was seen that the number of offences recorded on BREATHALYSERS were not matching the fines collected for same. So, now whenever someone blows, His/Her photo on the cam of that device along with the time stamp is sent to traffic police head quarters where the control room is situated. CCTV on nakabandi areas is made compulsory and a dedicated teem of anti corruption for all offences related to Mumbai road traffic keeps watch and tracks the GPS location of all the device & traffic cops who are on such nakabandi duties.
Decoys (Officers acting as commuter doing offences) to keep check on duty officers, training sessions will be held to bring the corruption down to the minimal of all time.
A note and a request : Why would you or anyone of us want to give fines and land into jail for our own safety ? Think on it. What are the after effects of an accident, who suffers and cries ?
Its all about us, Enjoy Alcohol but keep a driver or friend who is not drunk, After all we never want this to be our last party of life.