“Few decades before a small village location of Mumbai suburb, Borivali which then use to be less developed and selected village location with East Indians and tribal far from south of city staying is now is a famous and much in demand residential location of all community people with most preferred home location by Gujarati community. Historically their was nothing but a tiny village surrounded by open plots and lots of green trees, It was named with reference to ‘BOR’ a sweet red coloured nut/fruit called ‘Zizyphus’ in English. Poinsur was the only village location where people resided then. With the development and congestion in south Mumbai, suburban like Borivali in North of Mumbai has gain high demand for everything and not just residential properties. Lets checkout Borivali’s attractions and speciality, Hotels, Schools & Colleges, Hospitals and other Civic facilities, Important contact numbers, Aerial Map, Famous roads and Lanes, Pictures and Videos..”
Major Attractions in Borivali
Major attractions in and around Borivali suburb are National Park in East connected to National Highway 8, Gorai Beach, Essel world and Water Kingdom (See also the new bird park inside) , Global Pagoda (Vippasana), Prabodhankar Thackrey Auditorium, Famous Jewellery Shops, Indraprashtha Shopping Centre, and Other famous shopping malls like Goyal, Thakkar Mall, Moksh Plaza and more. Lets get some more details about same below :
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park : Mumbai’s only and a huge open natural forest area with animal park, lots of birds, old Buddhist caves (Kanheri caves), flowing streams and much more. A must to see when in Mumbai. National park is also a preferred location for one day picnic and bird watching, hiking etc.
- Gorai Beach : One of the famous beaches of Mumbai suburb, Gorai is just about 6 to 7 km from Borivali station in west, a preferred beach for leisure time and sunset view along Arabian sea, along with other connected beaches like Madh and Manori.
- Essel World : Mumbai’s first huge theme and entertainment park with lots of fun rides for all age. Essel world is actually a Borivali attraction but can also be reached via bhayandar (A Station in North beyond Borivali).
- Water Kingdom : A water park owned by same Essel group which is inside Essel World premise, This Water park is famous for major water rides and is preferred picnic attraction during summer vacation by local citizens.
- Prabodhankar Thackrey Auditorium : Adjacent to Railway station in West, A Famous Auditorium for Gujarati and Marathi Drama (natak), Prabodhan thackey is another entertainment option for Borivali and people around.
- Malls : Oldest and Famous mall of borivali is Indraprasth shopping connected to Platform number 2 and is still the preferred choice for shopping western outfits, saree etc. Malls near Borivali station are Moksh Plaza, Goyal and Thakkar mall at S V Road are very famous among ladies, Goyal being renovated recently in 2012 as caught fire is female special shopping destination. Anupam stationery inside thakkar mall is very famous with two branches, another at Moksh plaza for all kind of stationery, Mobile and related, Children and school related products. So if you ever have question on where to shop when in Borivali, the above malls are the perfect destinations. One more information to add when it comes to shopping jewellery, Jeweller shops at L T Road, at just 5 minutes from station in West. Leading jewellers shops are available like TBZ, Mannubhai, Arena, Kamlesh and few more. See all places
- Kora Kendra For Navratri : A famous ground during Navratri Festival with best of suburb crowd gather to play garba, Authentic gujarati dance. So when you are here during this festive season, Don’t forget to spend a night for garba dance or just go to view inside at Kora kendra ground at Borivali west or any other famous as it is one of the best garba dandiya dance places in Mumbai.
Famous Residential Locations
Borivali has cosmopolitan crowd, still few residential locations are known for majorly staying by a particular community people, Like IC Colony is preferred residential for Christian community, while Yogi Nagar, Chandavarkar Road, Sodawala Lane, Tilak Road, Sumer Nagar and Jairaj Nagar has more of Gujarat’s staying inside. Similarly Magathane and Siddharth Nagar attracts more of Maharashtrian (Marathi) community. While their are many such residential complexes, The most costliest and famous/known once are Saibaba Nagar, Mahavir Nagar Connecting Kandivali, Shimpoli and Link Road. New property developments are always at fast pace, and few projects of 2013 are Parinee Adney at IC Colony, Airavath by NL group, Ekta Bhoomi Gardens at Borivali East location and many such more. People prefer staying at the above listed residential locations as they are very well connected to station, market, malls and other civic amenities and with proper travel options and so are they very costly. Property cost which was about Rs.5000/- per Sq.Ft in 2005 to 2007 is anywhere between 10,000 to 20,000 now, So is how we can understand the fast developments of properties at such suburbs. Sad new is that a common middle class hands fall short to reach such skylines now. The rates have already crossed the capacity of common man to buy 2bhk & 3bhk flats in such good locations even after earning a handsome salary from corporates.
A great place to have your home when it comes to various available options to travel around city. Auto are readily available always, BEST bus connectivity and BRTS AC buses (Now stopped around Mumbai) are also available from major locations to travel to other stations of city and to nearby suburbs like Andheri, Bandra, Jogeshwari, Malad, Goregaon, Vile Parle, Santacruz etc. More over the connectivity to central suburbs and Thane are also good from borivali east.
Any time available cool cabs like Meru and Tab Cabs makes life easy and luxurious and best helpful during emergencies. Distance from Mumbai airport is 16.7 kms which takes just 22 minutes at normal speed in medium to No traffic conditions.
Famous Eateries in Borivali
Borivali is very famous for its street side chaat food like Panipuri, Masala Papad, Dosa, Sandwiches, Frankies etc as Gujarati’s are specially food lovers. Some of the speciality eating locations of Borivali are listed below :
- Pipasa Opposite Railway Station in West : Famous for its Lassi and Samosa’s.
- Raju’s Kitchen, Road Side Stall next to Gora Gandhi Hotel in West Near Station : Famous for Chinese Food (Veg and Non Veg with Separate kitchen)
- Borivali Biryani Center : As name says, specially for Biryani Food, is located in West.
- Restaurants near stations are Gora Gandhi, Su-Veg, The Veg Treat, Mahakali Snacks and Juice, Vraundas, Raj mahal, Radha Krishna and Grandvilles and Springfields near Western Express Highway.
- Ajmera Global School
- Don Bosco High School
- St. Lawrence High School
- BES International Vidyalaya
- Nalanda Academy
- Sri Sri Ravishankar Vidya Mandir
- Matushri Kashiben Vrajlal Valia International school
- JBCN International School
- Our Lady Of Vailankanni High School
- R C Patel High School
List Of Colleges
- BES College Of Commerce
- Gokhale College
- M K College
- Saint Rocks College
- Anandibai Damodar Kale Degree College
- Nalanda College
- MPV Valia College Of Commerce
- Anandibai Damodar Kale College
- Narendra Hospital
- Karuna Hospital
- Vibha Care Home
- Purnima Hospital
- Shree Krishna Hospital
- Ashok Hospital
- Bhagwati Hospital
- Borivali Municipal Corporation: +91-22-28946000
- Fire Station: +91-22-28602847
- Police Station: +91-22-28930145/ +91-22-28906606
As said Malls are one of the best time pass option for shopping lovers, Others are cinema halls. See Movie theatres with show timings at Broadway in East, Sona Gold Cinema in West, Diamond Cinema in West are available.
Some famous locations in Borivali
Sodawala Lane, Chandavarkar Road, Tilak Road, A S Vartak Marg, Kasturi Park Marg, Shimpoli Road, Haridas Nagar Road, Saibaba Mandir Road, Swami Vivekanand Road, Govind Nagar, Roshan Nagar, Krishna Nagari, BMC Ward Office, Maharashtra Nagar, Mhatre Wadi, Dalvi Nagar, Vivekanand Nagar, Shimpoli, Kanti Park, Padma Nagar, Western Express Highway, Jai Maharashtra Road, Dattapada Road, Devipada Road, Suhasini Pawaskar Path, Rajendra Nagar Road, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Kanheri Caves Road, Appasaheb Siddhaye Marg, Sant Dnyaneshwar Marg, Borivali Railway Station, Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Samaj Kalyan Kendra, Metropolis Hospital, Devipada Welfare Association, Siddharth Nagar, Cable Corporation Of India.