“Quite near to Mumbai, Raigad ropeway was founded by (Late, Shri V M Jog) and is located in Mahad (Raigad District, Maharashtra, India).
Since it was constructed in 1996, it has become a well known one day picnic spot for schools and one of the major tourist attractions near Mumbai, which is also on list of Maharashtra tourism. Let us understand the Fort raigad ropeway attraction details like Timings, Charges and more..”
Ropeway Facts and Details
- Ropeway Timings : 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Length of Ropeway : 760 meters.
- Vertical Height : 420 meters.
- Cabin weight : 100 Kg.
- Ride Duration : 5 Minutes.
- Total Steps of Fort : 1450 (Takes about 3 hours).
- Safety : Quite safe, Alternate ropeway is available as standby in case of technical problems. Backup option like generator for electricity failure available, diesel engine and also manual operators for emergency issues on ropeway public safety.
- Operators : A private company called ‘Millennium Properties Pvt Ltd’ operates this attraction since 2004.
- Cost per person : As detailed below.
One Day Picnic Attraction
A perfect day picnic experience for school students staying near Mumbai. Know about the famous fort, ride the ropeway and see the artefacts and historic details about Maratha warriors.
Being one of the only ropeway at a vertical height of 420 meters from ground, It is a safe mini adventure and an unique opportunity to land on Raigad fort via the ride. This is the only ropeway experience in Maharashtra ideal for one day picnic at fort location and not too far from Mumbai.
The ropeway adventure starts from ground at base location called ‘Lower Station’, board yourself in the trolley and get ready to land on top of Raigad fort location called ‘Mena Darwaja’ (Queens Entrance) in just 5 minutes. In those days only queens were allowed from this door called ‘Mena Darwaja’, which reaches ‘Queens Chamber’ ideally called ‘Rani Vasa’.
Ropeway Ride Charges
This historic place is quite cost effective for the number of places to see included in package. Previously Individual tourist package cost was Rs.170. Now, ropeway tickets range from Rs.215 to Rs.315 (Depending on Kids, Adults, Single way or Returns Journey).
It includes sightseeing and other attractions like Raigad Museum visit, unique history visual of Raigad fort (A video), visiting the fort and getting complete details with a guide. Worth the cost for a day of picnic. Below are cost as of April 2020.
Both two way & one way ride charges detailed as :
Two Way Ride Charges
- Public : Adults (Rs.315), Children (Height 3 to 4 Feet) : Rs.215, Seniors (60 Years+ age, Proof Required) : Rs.215.
- College & School Students : Upto 7th Standard : Rs.160, 8th to 12th : Rs.215, For Teachers & Staffs : Rs.215.
- Locals People : Rs.140 each (Adults, Kids & Seniors) & Rs.120 for local guides.
- Group Discounts : Rs.300 (Group of 25 to 50), Rs.295 (Group of 51 people and more).
- Physically Disable / Handicap : Rs.200 (All Age)
- Raigad Fort Government Servants : Rs.210.
One Way Ride Charges : Rs.185 (Public, all age group), Rs.130 (School students till 7th Standard) & Rs.160 (School students from 8th class to 12th).
Attractions Included in Package
The ticket charges as detailed above also includes below attractions :
Museum : The lifestyle of Marathas under the rule of Raja Shivaji can be seen on every artefacts inside the museum. Their are old weapons, photographs and other art work to be seen.
Film Show : This Raigad ropeway package includes this historic film show detailing about Raigad Fort. This 22 minutes audio visual makes us understand and think on how and why was this Fort made. Once done you will be guided towards ‘Lower Station’ to ride the ropeway.
Ropeway Ride : As detailed above is the final adventure to Raigad fort with a fascinating trolley ride taking you in clouds with breeze and scenic mountains around.
Accommodation at Ropeway Site
They also have accomodation option at Raigad Ropeway, Hirkaniwadi, A/P Pachad, Taluka Mahad Raigad, Maharashtra 412305.
Check-in Timings : 2:00 Pm & Check-out : 10:00 Am
A double bed AC room cost Rs.2000, While Non-AC room cost from Rs.850 to Rs.1000. They also have Non AC Dormitory option which has 10 to 14 beds for large group of people. Cost per bed in this Dormitory is Rs.400.
* Charges may change from time to time.
How to Reach From Mumbai
Via Road : Mumbai to Raigad distance is about 100 to 120 kilometres via pune express and national highway 17. Total distance from Mumbai to Ropeway at mahad village is 167 Km, Which takes about 4 and half hours.
Via Railway : Get a local train of Dadar to Panvel and get down at Vir-Dasgaon Station, From their take road ride (rental vehicle auto/taxi) or private cab to Mahad (Raigad).
Via Sea : Ride a ferry boat from gateway of India to Alibaug which takes about 45 minutes, From their take road way to Mahad (Raigad). The new Ro-Ro Ship Ride which is best to save time and a perfect ferry to get your car till Alibaug as of year 2020.
Via Air : No Airway possible, nearest airport being Mumbai and Pune airport, Then get the above suitable options to reach raigad ropeway.
Ropeway Address and Contact Number
Millennium Properties Pvt Limited
Raigad Ropeway Project
P O Pachad, Raigad District,
Pincode 402305. Maharashtra, India.
Contact 1 : +91-7447724993
(Note : ISD is 91 and Raigad STD code is 02145).