“Once called Powai Valley, A Small village surrounded by connected jungles of Aarey & National park on one side and mountains on other side which is now converted to posh residential township called ‘Hiranandani’. The Artificial Powai Lake (Also called ‘Talav’ in Hindi) and the overflowing Dam which is a fun Mini waterfall for locals in monsoon are two major attractions here.
One can Unwind self at the lakeside promenade or rush to the Dam area during rainy days. The location is now densely populated with some well known Educational institutes like IIT & NITIE, Pubs and Lounges, Star Hotels etc..”
- Historics : Built in 1891, With the main purpose to service fresh drinking water to Mumbai city. This artificial lake is about 6.61 Square Meter area with maximum depth of 12 meters. But since the quality of water was unfit for drinking purpose, People started abandoning the supply. Few years went and a proposal to keep it slit free, clean and make it fit for drinking was also made.
It was Britishers Raj then, But nothing happened and finally the lake was handed over to ‘Western India Fishing Association’ which is still there. Since then, It is used for fishing and was for industrial water supply needs. No proper cleanliness and the then untidy powai lake seemed like a total blunder during that period.
About 65 years later, Maharashtra State Angling Association took the initiative under some strict government rules and since then Sewage & Slit from water is timely removed, the famous Indian fish (Mahaseer) is been given proper attention towards conservation and many more positive things started happening. Now, The lake is Beautiful, Clean and an important water body in the vicinity.
- Location : From Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR), The lake is on left side from the main signal of Aarey. Well connected to Saki Vihar Road, Jogeshwari, Goregaon Aarey & Vikhroli too.
- Parking : Dedicated Vehicle (Bike & Car Parking) Zone are not available. People are seen parking their car on Road side in the best safer way possible. Bikes are a better vehicle choice here, It can be parked inside the premise / seating / viewing location of this lake promenade.
- Washrooms / Toilet : BMC Public toilet is available near the lake area. Rs.1, Rs.5 are washroom charges and Rs.15 for a bath. Car parking area available near washroom. Was that a tip from me ?
- Lake Entry Fee : Free.
- Timings : Always Open.
- Best time to Visit : Winters & Monsoons. Although locals and many others visit this place daily in Summers too. Monsoon is always the best here.
- Nearest Railway Station : Located in Suburban of Mumbai, Powai is well connected to Stations like Andheri, Jogeshwari & Goregaon on western railway route & towards Central railway route, Stations like Ghatkopar & Vikhroli.
- Eateries : There are lots of restaurant options around the periphery. Yet, on the spot you will find Bhel puri, Drink Lime water (Nimbu Pani), Pom Pom Idli wala for some quick bites.
- Other Lakes Around : Mumbai has its major fresh water supply from a very adjacent lake to Powai, called Vihar lake and Other being Tulsi, Both on the backdrop of Powai isolated by the forest area of Sanjay Gandhi National Park and Goregaon Aarey.
Please note that Public access to both these lakes are restricted.
- More Places to See Around : Exactly opposite Powai lake, Inside Hiranandani Residential locality is a beautiful garden called ‘Nirvana Park‘, Locals know this park as ‘BMC or MCGM park’. Just get inside the township (Just few minutes ahead) and with the help of Map or locals, Reach this park to find the unexpected Nature bliss right in the middle of this concrete world. I would especially recommend this place during Monsoon.
More on the list is Chota Kashmir Boating zone inside Aarey jungle. Located at a distance of 9.7 Km from Powai lake, It takes 20 to 30 minutes via a private vehicle. It will be worth some time to spend some time boating in this green land of Mumbai. Car parking available.
Year end and new year day is very special at Hiranandani, Complete township is lit as Winter Light Festival is celebrated for those few days. Many drives in from long distances just to enjoy the enlightened view of complete area.
Next place to visit is R-City Mall at Ghatkopar. If you love malls and have yet not visited, R-City is one good mall you should, as it is not very far from Powai lake. The route is via Hiranandani link road and it just 15 minutes to reach the destination at 5 to 6 Km distance.
This water body is under forest land zone and well connected to Aarey colony. It is now a beautiful lake is usually best for those wanted to relax a bit and might want to enjoy some Boating rides. Expect nothing more from this place. Usually, the place is frequented by locals in Morning and Evening for walking & Jogging, couples and family & friends throughout the day till late evening.
Since last decade, It has a beautifully constructed promenade just adjacent to the main road on left side when towards Vikhroli from Jogeshwari on JVLR. Powai lake has become an important place for many locals around. Although the sound pollution by the passing by vehicles on the road, We the Mumbai citizens who are very used to such level of Noise and Air Pollutions, Still enjoy the beauty of this lake which also has varieties of fishes and few crocodiles, Rarely seen.
A small playing zone for children plays a vital role for all those visiting here in family. Youths enjoys the hangout for some good time with friends and takes some cool selfies and Tik Tok videos. I must say, Couple 5 star hotels like Lakeside Chalet, Mumbai Marriott & Renaissance Terrace Garden adds to the beauty of this water body.
Lakeside promenade is a perfect place to unwind and have some relaxation time with family and friends. Keep walking and at the extreme end you will find another entrance towards a beautiful point called ‘Powai Vatika’. This is equally the part of Powai lake which one should not miss, Specially keeping photography in mind. Powai Vatika gives a beautiful view of Hiranandani Township Buildings in the backdrop of this lake and the main road, Just like we see Queen’s Necklace at Nariman Point.
It also has a small Ganapati temple and a large seating area to chill around with your group and take some real good shots of this lake. I can say this picturesque and scenic point of Powai lake is a perfect serene location to actually feel peaceful from inside, As compared to the main attraction promenade location which is bit chaotic due to the adjacent road traffic.
This lake also attracts couples as one of the best visited lovers point of Powai. From Middle area of Lakeside promenade till the end and also at Powai vatika, One can see couples and lots of Love scenes going on without any hesitations. So, a point to be noted for all visiting with family and kids.
Monsoon showers some extra blessing around the lake periphery as Balsam flourishes its carpet of greenery and pink purple flowers and is very picturesque, List of Fauna at Wiki.
ALERT !! Do not try jump off the fencing / seating area of promenade and go inside green grass patch as it is not a solid area to stand, It is actually is a BOG (A wet muddy area with water beneath, Called ‘Daldal’ in Hindi) covered with green grass and beautiful flowers (See Pictures), Just enjoy that from distance.
Powai Dam Waterfall
Not actually a waterfall, But a mini waterfall like as the Dam water overflows and creates a small fall. Powai dam is one of the most soughted by young monsoon hangout wanderers. Let us see some vloggers video first.
Powai Dam is one of the best attractions between young crowd (Bikers & Cyclists) who wanders inside ‘Powai Garden’ (Also called ‘Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Park’). As soon the Dam overflows, the crowd gathers to get those first few feast of showers at the overflowing Dam.
I would not recommend group of families to visit Powai Dam location adjacent inside the ‘Powai Garden’ area as it is not an official tourist spot and getting inside the flowing water may be risky. Reaching specially to this spot from some distance just to enjoy the view is not that worth to be frank. Usually young local crowd, some bikers and cycling enthusiast enjoy a day monsoon hangout trip here with friends. Above videos might have surely given some idea of this small yet beautiful Dam area.
Reaching The Waterfall Area
Address : Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Garden, 76, Saki Vihar Road, Andheri (East), Mumbai, Maharashtra 400076.
Reaching : From Jogeshwari towards Vikhroli, Reach the Powai lake main signal and take left towards Saki Vihar road. Keep walking / driving till you see a Big Gate Entrance of Powai Garden on Right Side. Landmark is the Mithi River flowing bridge, Entry gate is on opposite side of the road. This park in maintained by BMC and has no entry fees. The walk inside this park itself is very beautiful as it is a muddy forest path and less of concrete creations.
Upon entering the gate, Take a right to reach the DAM & WATERFALL area. If you keep walking straight, You will reach a little upper slope area which also has a small Dam Overflowing structure which is safer, Local young crowd take a dip inside this small exit pond size area (See the Picture).
Best Time to Visit : Upon couple of initial days of rainfall, the lake is filled with enough water and gets overflowed via this Dam area. It creates a waterfall like view of some 50 odd meters length. Keep a note to not visit during heavy rainfalls or post July month as the force increases and you will be restricted to entry in that premise.
Pictures & Video Courtesy : Kriti Patel, Rahul Virendra Tiwari, KOKA Vlogs, Avi Gupta, Suchit More.
See Also : Thane Lakes.