On 19th January 2023, 2 more routes of Mumbai Metro Trains (Lines 7 & 2A) is set open by MMRCL (Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited). From 20th January Public is allowed to take benefits. Complete updated details of all Metro Lines, Routes, Inter-Connectivity, etc below.
Starting in June 2014, Mumbai metro trains were the need of time, and Line 1 (Versova to Ghatkopar) got opened to the public journey. AC metro coaches have been a blessing for the last 8 years and a total of 13 routes are planned to Connect Mumbai to Suburban, Thane & Palghar districts, Central & Western Railway routes including Navi Mumbai.
After a long list of works like Soil Investigation, Utility, Piling, Pile Cap, Pier, Pier Cap, U Girder, Station work, Various tests, and more, Metro trains are been thrown open to the public one by one. Below are complete details, facilities, the latest pictures of each route, and interconnectivity with other Metro stations & other local train stations that will help understand the complete route map.
Hot Updates (May 2023): A New Connecting 35 Kilometer long metro line 8 ‘Airport Express Line’ will be developed between Mumbai International Airport and Upcoming Navi Mumbai Airport.
CSMIA will also be connected to Mankhurd which will be about 11 Km. From Mankhurd this line will be again connected to Navi Mumbai Airport Metro Station, Which will be developed by CIDCO.
Stations Renamed: 3 Stations Names on Line 2A on Link Road are renamed, Pahad Eksar (Borivali West) is Renamed to Shimpoli, Valnai Station is now called ‘Valnai Meeth Chowky’, and Pahadi Goregaon is now renamed to ‘Bangur Nagar’.
Updates (February 2023): Metro Route line 9 (Dahisar to Mira Bhayander) Phase 1 will be operational by 2024. Connecting Line 7 & 2A. Relief to Mira Bhayander residents to reach Andheri.
Updates (19th January 2023): Congratulations Mumbai & Cheers, Metro line 2A & 7 opened to public. Ring route From Dahisar to DN Nagar (Connecting Andheri Ghatkopar Metro) at Western Express Highway, Which Again connects Andheri to Dahisar via this Highway.
The good news is, Metro stations are going to be connected directly to possible prime commercials. As of day on Metro line 7, Oberoi Mall & NESCO center will be directly connected to stations.
It is a very good move and it seems like more such locations will be interconnected on all major metro lines (Wherever Possible) for commuting convenience. Special BEST buses are planned at required metro stations, Dedicated Auto & Taxi stands are made too.
Hot Updates January 2023: First Underground Metro Route Line 3 (Colaba to Seepz) had a trial run on 12th December 2022. Line 5 is 70% complete as of December 2022. Line 2A and Line 7 (Andheri Dahisar Ring Round) will be fully operational by January end or Early February.
Road traffic (SV Road, Link Road, and National Highway) and Local train crowd (Till Bhayandar Railway Station, Mira Bhayandar) are expected to be drastically reduced in the coming days.
Updates (17th December 2022): Final stage of line 2A & 7 trials and any time soon, These lines will be opened to the public.
Updates (12th December 2022): First 3km trail of Metro Line 3 was done near Marol. In December now, the Underground line test is done.
Updates (2nd April 2022): It was Gudi Padwa day and 2 major good new happened in Mumbai city, It got free from Wearing Mask & 2 Major Metro lines were opened to Public (Metro 7 & 2A).
NOTE:As of opening, Metro line 2A is open to the public From Dahisar to Dahanukar wadi (Kandivali West) & Line 7 is a limited operations route from Dahisar (East) till Goregaon Highway (Aarey). Both lines are already connected at Dahisar (East), which means one can start the journey on Line 2A & continue on the same train on 7.
A joy ride of lines 7 & 2A is possible by starting the train journey at Dahanukar Wadi (Kandivali West, Link road station) till Goregaon Highway (Aarey Metro Station).
Mumbai Metro Trains 2023 Coaches & Facilities
New coaches of Line 7 & 2A has some really great view & facilities for commuters, Below listed are same.
- Driver Less Trains: All new metro trains will mostly have 6 & 8 coaches (designed by BEML Limited India) & will be totally automated driven. Yes, these trains are driverless and are operated automatically via computer systems
- Safety Barricades: The photos of new trains & coaches on line 7 & 2A and all upcoming lines shows how safety is the top priority. Unlike Metro 1 (The first line started in 2014), All new trains and lines will have safety barricade gates for each coach.
Since all trains are auto-driven, the train halts and adjusts itself by auto-aligning each coach with the respective barricaded safety gates, and both open parallel together. No person can jump over and cross metro lines and reach another side.
- Ladies/Women-only Coaches: Special coach in each train for ladies. A perfect solution like Local trains needed during peak office hour travel.
- Cycles Allowed: Each coach has a dedicated fixed cycle stand, Commuters are allowed to get their cycles inside and use the stand while traveling (A picture of the cycle stand can be seen below).
- Coaches & Seatings: Stainless steel 8-seaters are allocated at multiple places inside each coach. Beautiful uninterrupted views & high-tech facilities like USB charging for mobile phones & laptop charging (3-pin plug, Round) can be seen at multiple locations inside every coach.
Below the seating area, Fire extinguishers are installed. CCTV can be seen at multiple entry & exit areas & inside. The digital display on every door helps commuters with station names, routes, etc.
Route Versova (Andheri West) to Ghatkopar. Started in June 2014.
- Route Distance: 11.40 km.
- Total Metro Stations: 12.
- Metro Car Depot Location: D N Nagar.
- Coaches: 4 & 6 AC Coach trains with about 700 to 800 Passengers capacity.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 2 (DN Nagar), Western Railway Andheri Station, Metro Line 3 Marol Naka & Central Railway Ghatkopar Station.
- Mumbai Metro Line 1 Route – Station Names:
Versova (Seven Bungalows, Andheri West) D N Nagar (Andheri West) Azad Nagar (West) Andheri Railway Station (East Side) Western Express High (WEH East) Chakala (East) Airport Road (Connectivity Junction) Marol Naka Saki Naka Asalpha (Connecting Ghatkopar Location) Jagruti Nagar Ghatkopar (West).
Route 2A (Dahisar to DN Nagar) on Link Road Corridor. (Started on 2nd April 2022, Operations limited from Dahisar East to Kandivali Dahanukar Wadi, Expected full operational route by January-February 2023). Trials of this line i.e 2A and Line 7 are planned to be carried out in October 2022. Interconnected with route 7 at Dahisar East Metro Station.
- Route Distance: 18.589 km.
- Total Metro Stations: 17.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 1 (Versova to Ghatkopar) at DN Nagar Metro station which has access to Western Express Highway, Western & Central Railway. Line 2A connects metro line 1 which connects to line 7 at Western Express Highway (Andheri East to Dahisar East Corridor).
- Mumbai Metro Line 2A Route – Station Names:
Dahisar East Anand Nagar Kandarpada Mandapeshwar (IC Colony Area) Eksar Borivali West (Near Don Bosco) Shimpoli Kandivali West (Near Mahavir Nagar) Dahanukar Wadi (Near Kamraj Nagar) Valnai Meeth Chowky (Charkop Route) Malad West Metro Station Kasturi Park (Lower Malad) Bangur Nagar (Old Name Pahadi Goregaon) Goregaon West Metro Station Oshiwara (Adarsha Nagar Area) Shastri Nagar (Andheri West) DN Nagar (Andheri West)
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC Trains with an estimated ridership of 4 lakh passengers.
Route 2B (DN Nagar to Mandale at Mankhurd).
- Route distance: 23.643 km.
- Total Metro Stations: 20.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: DN Nagar (Metro Line 1 & Line 2A), BKC (Metro Line 3), Monorail (Chembur), Eastern Express Highway (Metro Line 4).
- Mumbai Metro Line 2B Route – Station Names:
ESIC Nagar (DN Nagar) Prem Nagar Indira Nagar Nanavati Hospital Khira Nagar Saraswat Nagar National College Bandra Metro Station Income Tax Office ILFS (BKC) MTNL Metro SG Barve Marg Kurla East Eastern Express Highway (EEH) Chembur Diamond Garden Shivaji Chowk BSNL Metro Station Mankhurd Mandale Metro.
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC Trains with an estimated ridership of 8 to 9 lakhs passengers.
12th December 2022, Underground Trial run of Mumbai Metro Line 3 starting South Mumbai Colaba Navy Nagar to Seepz Village via Bandra BKC till Seepz (Aarey Car Shed) was done. This line has a twin tunnel passing under the Mithi River. it is also the first metro line route that covers both Mumbai City & Suburban.
Updates February 2023: 84% Work of Metro 3 Line has been completed. MMRCL plans a total of 31 train rakes on this longest metro route of Mumbai, Which is 33 KM.
— Free Press Journal (@fpjindia) December 12, 2022
- Route distance: 33.5 km.
- Total Stations:27, Of which 26 stations will be underground & 1 elevated.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Covering Nariman Point, BKC (Metro Line 2) Both Domestic and International Airports T2, Industrial & IT Hub at Marol Naka (Metro Line 1) MIDC and SEEPZ (Metro Line 6).
- Mumbai Metro Line 3 Route – Station Names:
Colaba Cuffe Parade Vidhan Bhaan Churchgate Metro Hutatma Chowk CST Metro Kalbadevi Girgaon Grant Road Mumbai Central Mahalaxmi Metro Science Museum Acharya Atre Chowk Worli Dadar Siddhivinayak Temple Dadar Metro Sitladevi Dharavi Bandra BKC Junction Vidyanagri Santacruz CSIA Domestic Airport Sahar Road CSIA International Airport Andheri Marol Naka MIDC Seepz Village.
- Coaches: 6 & 8 AC Coach Trains.
- NOTE: The work for Line 3 has already been started. About a thousand more trees that were decades old have been chopped in 2017 and 2018 might see more such.
Wadala to Kasarvadavali (Thane)
- Route distance: 32.32 km
- Total Stations: 32.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Eastern Express Highway, Central Railway, Mono Rail, Metro Line 2B (D N Nagar to Mandale), Metro Line 5 (Thane to Kalyan), Metro Line 6 (Swami Samarth Nagar to Vikhroli) & Metro Line 8 (Wadala to General Post Office).
- Mumbai Metro Line 4 Route – Station Names:
Wadala Bhakti Park Metro Wadala TT Anik Nagar Bus Depot Suman Nagar Siddharth Colony Amar Mahal Junction Garodia Nagar Pant Nagar Lakxmi Nagar Ghatkopar Shreyas Cinema Vikhroli Godrej Company Vikhroli Metro Surya Nagar Gandhi Nagar Naval Housing Bhandup Mahapalika Bhandup Metro Shangrila Sonapur Mulund Fire Station Mulund Naka Thane Teen Haath Naka RTO Thane Mahapalika Marg Cadbury Junction Majiwada Kapurbawdi Manpada Tikuji-Ni-Wadi Dongari Pada Vijay Garden Kasarvadavali
- Coaches: 8 coach train with an estimated ridership of 8 to 9 Lakhs.
Thane Kasarvadavali to Gaimukh (Ghodbunder Road)
- Route distance: 2.7 km
- Total Stations: Updates Soon.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: It is an extension of Metro Line 4 and may connect the line that comes from Dahisar, Mira Bhayander in the Future if planned.
- Mumbai Metro Line 4A Route – Station Names: Connects at Kasarvadavali (Thane) Gowniwada Gaimukh.
Thane to Bhiwandi to Kalyan (Work is 70% Completed as of December 2022)
- Route distance: 24.90 km.
- Total Stations: 15.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 4 (Wadala to Kasarvadavli) and the proposed Metro Line 12 (Kalyan to Taloja), and with the existing Central Railway.
- Mumbai Metro Line 5 Route – Station Names:
Thane Kapurbawdi (Metro Line 4 Connection) Balkum Naka Kasheli Kalher Purna Anjurphata Dhamankar Naka Bhiwandi Gopal Nagar Temghar Rajnouli Gove Gaon Kon Gaon Lal Chowki Kalyan Station Kalyan APMC
- Coaches: 6 coach trains with an expected ridership of 3 lakhs people daily.
Swami Samarth Nagar (Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri to Vikhroli Eastern Express Highway (EEH).
- Route Distance: 15.31 km.
- Total Stations: 13.
- Interchange / Connecting stations:
Metro Line 2A at Aadarsh Nagar, Metro Line 7 (Western Express Highway) Junction JVLR, Metro Line 3 at SEEPZ Area, Metro Line 4 at Kanjurmarg (West), Suburban Railways at Jogeshwari (Western Railway Route) and Kanjurmarg (Central Railway Route) respectively.
- Mumbai Metro Line 6 Route – Station Names:
Swami Samarth Nagar (Andheri West, Lokhandwala) Adarsh Nagar Jogeshwari West JVLR Western Express Highway Junction Shyam Nagar Mahakali Caves Seepz Village Saki Vihar Road Rambaug Powai Lake IIT Powai Kanjurmarg West Vikhroli Eastern Express Highway.
- Coaches: 6 & 8 AC Coach trains with an expected daily ridership of 7 Lakhs in future.
Dahisar East to Andheri East (Complete Western Express Highway Route). (Started on 2nd April 2022, Currently till Goregaon Aarey & Expected full operations by January or February 2023), By october trails will be done.
- Route distance: 15.31 Km.
- Total Stations: 14.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 1 (Western Express Highway), Metro Line 2A (Dahisar to DN Nagar), Metro Line 6 (at JVLR Western Express Highway).
- Mumbai Metro Line 7 Route – Station Names:
Gundavali Station (Near Andheri Western Express Highway, Andheri Ghatkopar Metro Junction) Shankarwadi (Mogra) Highway Jogeshwari Highway JVLR Junction Mahananda Goregaon Aarey Malad Pathan Wadi Malad Pushpa Park Malad Kandivali Bandongri Kandivali Thakur Village & Complex Area Mahindra & Mahindra Borivali Magathane Depot Borivali Devipada Borivali National Park Dahisar East Ovaripada
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC trains.
Andheri East (Western Express Highway Metro Line 1 & 7) interconnect Junction to CSIA Terminal 2 (International Airport). This route is already interconnected & operating with line 2A at Dahisar East.
- Route distance: 3.2 Km.
- Total Stations: 3.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 1 (Western Express Highway), Metro Line 7 (Andheri to Dahisar East), Metro Line 3 (Colaba to Seepz Village).
- Mumbai Metro Line 7A Route – Station Names:
Andheri Western Express Highway Metro Line 1 & 7 Junction Airport Colony CSIA Terminal 2 (International Airport)
- Coaches: 6 & 8 Coach AC trains.
Line 8 from CSIA Terminal 2 (Mumbai International Airport) to Navi Mumbai Airport.
About 35 Kilometres, this metro route is ‘Proposed’ and the process of study & project report has been started. Metro 8 will connect NMIA (Navi Mumbai International Airport) with Metro Line 2B.
Similarly, Mankhurd Metro will also connect Navi Mumbai Airport which will be 11 Km lone and will be constructed by CIDCO.
Target to open to the public by 2025, Metro 9 Line is between Dahisar East to Mira Bhayandar (Extension of Line 7). It will be built in 2 Phases, First phase (targeting opening to the public in 2024) is from Dahisar East (Metro Line 7 to Kashigaon. The second Phase will be from Kashigaon to Indralok Complex (Subhash Chandra Bose Stadium) and can get extended till Uttan for a Car shed projected in the future.
MEDITIYA Nagar will be the first station of Mumbai Metro on line 9 to have 3 tier/layer, 35 Meters highest constructed Metro line.
Layer 1 will be a road flyover, Layer 2 will be a concourse and on the top layer will be Metro Line 9 Meditiya Nagar station.
- Route distance: 10.58Km, 13.5 Km (According to Previous Information Received), Possibly due to considering it as part of Line 7 Connection.
- Total Stations: 10.
- Interchange / Connecting stations: Metro Line 2A (Andheri DN Nagar to Dahisar West via Link Road), Metro Line 7 (Andheri to Dahisar via Western Express Highway). Metro 10 will also be inter-connecting this route (Gaimukh and Thane Kasarwadavli).
- Mumbai Metro Line 9 Route – Station Names:
Dahisar East Pandurang Wadi (Highway Line 7, Near Thakur Mall Area) Miragaon Amar Palace (Western Express Highway, Metro Line 7 Kashigaon (Mira Bhayandar Road Starts) Saibaba Nagar Medetiya Nagar Shahid Bhagat Singh Garden Subhash Chandra Bose Stadium MBMC Sports Complex (New Golden Nest Road) Indralok Complex (Bhayandar East)
- Coaches: 8 Coach AC trains with an expected ridership of 8 lakhs and above.
Upcoming Mumbai Metro Routes
At the early proposed & planning stage, below are the upcoming metro routes in Mumbai, Suburban & metro areas.
- Metro Line 8: Mumbai International Airport – Upcoming Navi Mumbai Airport. Total Stations unknown as of now. It will be a Airport Express Metro Line which will be about 35 km long.
- Metro Line 10: Ghodbundar Road Gaimukh – Kashimira Shivaji Chowk (Mira Road Highway). Total 9 Stations with an Approximate distance of 10 km.
- Metro Line 11: CSMT Railway Station to Wadala. Total of 11 metro stations and a distance of 13 Km.
- Metro Line 12: Kalyan to Taloja, 17 Metro Station with Route Distance of 21 Km.
- Metro Line 13: Mira Bhayandar Highway (Kashi-Mira Shivaji Chowk) to Virar. The total number of metro Stations will be 20 and will Approximate Distance will be 25 km.
- Metro Line 14: Kanjurmarg (Central Railway) to Badlapur (Navi Mumbai). The total Stations are 40 with 45 to 47 km distance route.
Metro train Picture Gallery
Latest Pictures of New Metro Trains, Coaches, and Inside
Metro Line 7 Pictures (2014)
See Also : Mumbai Metro Pictures, Lost and Found & Mumbai Local Train Travel.
Route Maps Images Courtesy: MMRDA.
9 Replies to “Mumbai Metro Trains 2023 – Routes and Lines”
Metro routes will give great connectivity once work finished.
Yup brother nice work
You Mr. Jadav you have done/doing a fantastic job by helping everyone.
Thanks a lot, dear friend.
Thank you, Stanley Fernandes. It is always a pleasure.
panavel -vashi- colaba metro railway pahije
vashi charchgate metro railway pahije
panvel – navy nagar metro railway line pahije
Thanks a lot Deven. Good effort. All the Best Wishes to you
Thank You Bala.