“As we know, Only a permanent driving license can be renewed and till date many feels its a headache and a day and time will be wasted doing so, But that is no more the case. Below are details and links to renewal application forms, Simple steps with Pictures for online renewal of Driving licence with rules etc to be known before you apply for license renewal in Mumbai RTO or anywhere within Maharashtra state. With service renewal you have many other options like Changing Mobile Number, Adding Aadhaar number, Updating and Changing Name and Address details, Adding Endorsements (More Vehicles) etc..”
Below are simple steps to follow if your driving license is expired or about to expire. It is highly recommended to apply online for renewal before 1 month of permanent license expiry. Although another 1 month grace period is available post expiry within which period you should apply, else after which extra fine of Rs.1000 needs to be paid (At Parivahan website it shows Rs.30, So a bit confusion here). Also note that an expired license is declared invalid if not renewed within 5 years of expiry, i.e One cannot apply for renew of an existing permanent driving license after 5 years of inactivity. Fresh process needs to be followed, Contact your local RTO office for same.
Also note that Driving test is not required if you are renewing same vehicle category license. If you plan to Endorse more vehicle categories like Transport and Commercial vehicles inside your existing license, Giving a driving test is compulsory. Let’s check below step to follow online.
1. Go to Parivahan website and select your State (In Our case, Maharashtra).
2. On left side menu, Select Apply Online and then select Services on Driving Licence.
3. Read On and Press Continue on next page.
4. Enter your Existing Driving License Number and Date Of Birth and Press GO.
5. Confirm Your Details as Displayed and Press Proceed button to go ahead.
6. Verify more details as displayed. On this page there are Options to Update Mobile number connected to existing Driving License & Adding Aadhaar Card number. Do the needful if required and Press Confirm.
7. On Next Page Select your REQUIRED SERVICES for which you need to apply (Only Services Currently Valid For That License Number will be displayed). So here we need to select RENEWAL Option from various other check box like Issue & Cancellation of NOC, Replacement of License, Hill Region Endorsement, Extracts, Change of Name, Change of Address, International Driving Permit, Issue of Duplicate license, Change in Bio Metrics and more.
8. Follow all steps and finally an Acknowledgement page with Application ID number will be displayed (Print it). SMS to Registered mobile number will be sent with details. Just Follow the same and you are done.Documents Required For License Renewal
2. Form No.9, It’s a renewal application form.
3. Form No.1, It’s a Declaration done & signed by you that you are Physically fit to drive a Non Transport Vehicle.
4. Form No.1A, It’s a Doctor’s Medical Certificate (Required only if you are applying for renewal of Driving license for Transport Vehicles).
5. Payment of Fees (Rs.416), Charges may differ with time.
6. 3 Passport Size Photos.
Important About Forms & Download Links : I am linking directly to the FORMS for ease. Still, Once on the transport department website, Check for any updated form available as they may change from time to time and may confuse you. Also request to let us know for same.
** All Pictures Courtesy, Parivahan Website.