“Of many beautiful natural lakes in Mumbai, There are 6 to 7 drinking water source lakes, Both Inside Mumbai and at about 90 to 105 Km in north of Palghar District.
Purest form of Rain water which is sweet & clean goes through water filtration plant connected to Vihar Lake towards Bhandup. Those famous and important lakes are Tansa, Modak Sagar (AKA Lower Vaitarna), Bhatsa, Upper Vaitarna, Tulsi and Vihar.
Details of these water sources that provides drinking water to South Mumbai & Suburban, vasai Virar and Other locations every day. The water is ample and is stored via the Dam constructed at many of those reservoirs.”
How Mumbai Gets it Drinking Water
Around 1860, Britishers identified the forest area of Sanjay Gandhi National Park which is located at Borivali (Western Railway Suburban, Towards North). 2 Human made lakes were made which are now called Vihar & Tulsi lakes.
Vihar is comparatively Larger in size and storage then Tulsi and is from where South Mumbai and Suburban gets it fresh drinking water. It is located deep inside the forest area in the backdrop area of Filmcity (Goregaon) & Aarey Colony which connects Powai Lake on Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road.
Initially Powai was also a fresh water source, But now no more. So 3 lakes as detailed are adjacent to each other.
4 More Lakes play a vital roles in water supply to Mumbai, Central & Western Suburban, Far North locations like Vasai Virar which are part of Palghar District. Tansa & Bhatsa lake which comes next and leading both are Modak Sagar (Lower Vaitarna Lake & Dam) & Upper Vaitarna (Located at Igatpuri).
When the rainfall in low in Mumbai, Modak Sagar and Other lakes water is released to Vihar & Tulsi lake which gradually gets filled and their is not scarcity of Water Supply.
Freshwater Sources / Lakes
- Tulsi Lake Reservoir – Drinking Water Source For South MumbaiThe transformation of the small ‘Tasso River’ into a medium-side tulsi lake between 1872 and 1897 was one of the fresh drinking water sources for South Mumbai
- Powai Lake and Waterfall Dam During Monsoon – MumbaiPowai lake is one of the 6 major lakes of Mumbai located at Andheri suburb, Supplying water to Industries as of now.
- Vandri Lake 2023 – Waterfall | Dam | Camping and MoreVandri lake is a monsoon blessing to many people who like such locations which have Waterfall, Dam and a Huge Lake with great scenic location and fresh air all over.
- Upper Vaitarna Lake Modak Sagar Dam Water Source Near MumbaiVaitarna Lake (Originally called ‘Modak Sagar’) is also known as Vaitarna Dam. Located in North of Mumbai at 105 Km in Wada Taluka of Palghar District. At the higher hilly slopes of Igatpuri area has another very large reservoir called ‘Upper Vaitarna Lake’. While Modak Sagar is restricted to Public, Upper vaitarna is a beautiful scenic ...
- Vihar Lake – Drinking Water Source Of MumbaiVihar lake is yet another drinking water source to Mumbai. Constructed in 1860, This fresh water reservoir has its water filtration (900 MLD Water Treatment Plant) on other end which is Bhandup. This lake is close to Powai lake which is no more a drinking water source. This and Tulsi lake falls under green forest premise ...
- Tansa Lake Dam at Atgaon – Mumbai“Tansa lake (Dam) is one of those 3 major drinking water reservoir out of total 6 lakes for Mumbai, Located at Mahuli hills (Atgaon, Thane District) about 85.3 km from Mumbai Airport, this lake was the only freshwater lake built back in 1892 which has its Tansa Dam project done by 1925 supplying 430 MLD ...
- Bhatsa Lake and Dam – Mumbai“Bhatsa is an important lake near Mumbai, Located between Shahpur and Khardi on National Highway 3 (NH3), Exactly on opposite side of Highway where Bhatsa Village and Tansa lake is located. This Dam and water reservoir is about 96 km from Mumbai and is one of the 6 major source of water used by citizens, ...
- 2 Famous Lakes in Thane – Masunda (Talao Pali) Upvan Lake (Pokhran)The lake city ‘Thane’ as it is called has many artificial and natural lakes. Of all, 2 famous and most visited lakes are Masunda (Also called ‘Talao Pali’) lake & Upvan Lake at Pokhran Village near hilly slopes of Yeoor (Park of National Park), Both with attractions & ideal for family & friends. If planning to ...
See More in