“2019, Big Relief to visitors at major beaches of Mumbai as Lifeguards and Safety equipments are in place. Lifeguards security now keep watch at 6 major beaches in Mumbai which are Girgaum Chowpatty, Juhu beach, Dadar beach, Versova beach and Aksa and Gorai at Borivali. Let us know more updates about beach safety in Mumbai city”
It was 2006 when Mumbai High Court ordered for strict safety instructions for major and risky beaches in Mumbai. Watchtowers, Floodlights and Lifeguards should be a must.
Drowning and Suicide cases were still high till 2018, High court got stricker and BMC swift actions were on place and results are seen now in 2019 with about 124 professional security lifeguards keeping watch on top 6 beaches in Mumbai.
NEEDED !!! For now just basic equipments are in place with lifeguards who says, City needs more better and best safety equipments and watchtowers, Jet skies and Rescue jeeps like Goa beaches has. For now they are working hard and saving every possible life with equipments like Walkie-Talkies for communication, Life Jackets, Rescue tubes and Surf boards.
As of 2014-2016
Some details on how safe our beaches will be now as firefighters and safeguards are been trained with new Hi-Tech tools to save more life in quicker possible ways during such incidents and emergency..”
BMC has already got the below safety equipments to guard along the coast of famous yet having more number of Drowning cases beaches in Mumbai which are Juhu Beach, Versova which is adjacent and connected to juhu, Gorai & Aksa at Western Suburbs like Malad and Borivali (Just Couple of Stations to Andheri) and also for South Mumbai prime beaches like Dadar Chowpatty and Girgaum beach. Below safety methods and equipments will be places at nearest fire stations and around beaches with watch towers and soon the pending remaining permissions to get Watch towers will also be done.Fire fighters and other authorities have been trained to use this life saving tools during emergency at all the above and few other connected rocky seashores like Marine drive, Bandra Bandstand too.Below are beach safety equipment’s with BMC & Fire Fighters now
- 18 Number each of Rescue Tubes, Ropes and Personal Flotation Devices.
- Total of 9 each Rechargeable Torches and Surf Rescue Boats.
- 7 each Semi Inflated boats, Jet Skies, Beach Watchtowers and Beach Lifeguard Chairs.
- And 2 of Ring Bouy
As per latest updates (2019) by the placed lifeguards at these beaches, Major drowning and accident reasons are the precautionary warnings not followed. Beach excited sea drunks cases, suicidal attempts and having less / no knowledge of beach currents / tides, Still excited to get inside beach water, crossing safety level etc are primary reasons for such situations.
Natural situations like boat capsizing and suck due to sudden high tides etc has already been handles by lifeguards.
Within 4 months in 2019, Between 35 to 45 rescues have been done. Major rescues by beach lifeguards are done at famous and crowded beaches like Girgaum chowpatty (South Mumbai) and Juhu beach (Andheri, Mumbai Suburban).
ALERT !! Juhu beach is beautiful till you explore the sand, eateries and breeze etc. The currents on this beach is highly fluctuating and is not safe to get inside beach water.
REMEMBER !! Lifeguards are trained, certifies and are professionals to handle major situations, Yet they are also humans who risk their life for your safety. Please follow / ask for their instructions before exploring any beaches.
LEGAL ACTIONS !! Exploring beach water into deep upon restricted by lifeguards may land you to police custody. In such dangerous situations lifeguards has right to get inside the sea and force you outside to save your life (How insensible of such citizens / tourists if such situation arises).
Including above situation, In case found drunk, Ambulance is called and police takes over the situation.
Prior to 2019
Below are number of drowning cases happened due to non-safe beach currents and high tides during monsoon, without guardians or equipments and tools to save and non-alert citizen who don’t follow the safety instructions or take it too casually.
- In May and June 2013 two different cases of Drowning at Aksa beach were reported by Sea Guardians and NGO who use to help in such incidents and during Ganesha visarjan days.
- Six residents of Chembur and Mankhurd during July 2014.
- One rescued and one dead at marine drive during June 2014 monsoon days.
- Again in July 2014, young guys at age 26 Drowned at Aksa Dana Pani beach.
- 6 Drowned at Murud beach near Mumbai in July 2014.
- Elderly lady fall of prey to big waves on 14th July 2014 at marine drive.
- Not just monsoon, October 2014 also observed a beach drowning at Juhu beach with body found at adjacent Versova beach.
Till 2014 beach safety was a big question at Mumbai’s famous beaches. All major beaches of Mumbai were actually unsafe during incidents of drowning. As of 2019, Our beaches still do not have Hi-Tech equipments, Still the best things is that the year saw about 124 professional lifeguards with basic safety equipments.
Mumbai is basically a beach city and watch towers and advance equipments are need of time as the level of civic sense is also not upto the mark. People risk their life and many a times pay no heed to what lifeguards warn about.
2014, BMC took the first step towards beach safety and had trained firefighters and safeguards with some safety and rescue boats etc. Now, with more than 100 professionally trained lifeguards keep watch on famous beaches as detailed below.
As per news, in about 4 months since January 2019, more than 40 rescues has been already done.
- Like as said don’t drink and drive, Do not Drink and Swim at beaches.
- Always follow and listen to local fisherman when they says a particular beach or location of beach is unsafe with currents / or is steep deep.
- Beach side instructions board are key to safety.
- Low tides are worse than High tides, they will pull you inside instead of throwing you out when drowning.
- Never jump inside alone and without informing friends and parents etc around with you.
- Have your safety jackets with you if you have and be a smart and pro swimmer.
- Ask vendors and lifeguards about beach currents and also get information about flat sand beach or steep deep locations.
- For monsoon days safety, Keep note of yearly listed high tide days.
- If you are exploring some of far north Mumbai beaches in thane / palghar districts like Rajouri, Kalamb and Arnala then keep handy Vasai Virar helplines.
Fire Brigades Helpline Numbers : 108, 101. All Fire brigades helpline.Other Helplines if neededMonsoon High Tide Videos