“Built in 1952, Kamla Nehru Park as of 2020 (Also called ‘Old Women Shoe’,’Boot House’,’Juta Ghar’) was a gift to Kids of Mumbai from Chacha Nehru. The name ‘Kamla’ was his wife’s name is why the park is called. Big Shoe House (Boot is called Juta in Hindi) is what it is still famous can called by locally.
Located at Malabar Hill location of South Mumbai, It was one of the only playing garden for kids few decades ago, when Mumbai was called ‘Bombay’. This Facelifted park was closed for few years and is now opened to public since February 2018 with all new attractions like fish ponds, kids rhymes, lightings, new colours and more.
As of year 2020, Let us know more about Park timings, Entry Fees, Attractions, How to Reach, Places to see near and more..”
Attractions of Kamla Nehru Park
Do not get confused between the names ‘Kamla Nehru Park’ and ‘Hanging Garden’ as these 2 are different gardens adjacent to each other at Malabar Hills of Mumbai. In Fact this park is very much part of Hanging Garden, yet it is separate with its own identity and name.
One of the Historic & Beautiful parks in Mumbai, Upon renovation it has much more to give to school kids apart from its famous Marine Lines (Queen’s Necklace View Point) and greenery & peaceful environment.
Since decades this viewpoint & a small restaurant (No More Now) has been one of the major attractions of this Park which is about 4000 Square Feet area. For kids it is always about the huge ‘Shoe House’ or ‘Boot House’. Hundreds of trees, plants gives enough shade inside to daily visiting tourists and citizens.
Bollywood songs like ‘Pehli Baar Mile Hai’ from movie Saajan starring Salman Khan has been shot here gives glimpse of the old park looks of 1990’s. Adjacent, few steps ahead is the main Hanging Garden, Of which this park is part of.
For adults it a place for leisure, walk and relax, away from city traffic and chaos. Monsoons brings in more greenery, fresh breeze since the promenade area and chirping sound of birds with pleasant & pollution free climate in surroundings.
Park After Renovation
Since march 2017, The park along with iconic lady shoe / boot house was closed for renovation which again got open to public in February 2018. Monsoons of 2016 & 2017 affected structure of the Boot House and so the authorities thought, It was correct time to renovate everything that is required and so a complete makeover as seen.
As of 2020, Here is how the Large show looks
Old colour of Shoe House was yellowish while the facelifted structure of giant shoe looks stylish and blue. Many attractive themes and colours can be seen used around trees and plants, New lightings can be seen, Famous Children Rhymes can now be seen around the redesigned theme inside Kamla Nehru Park.
Nursery poems like ‘Twinkle Twinkle’ & ‘Baa Baa Black Ship’ now catches attention of kids. One of the wall inside now have night theme with artificial stars all around. few Murals can be seen inside at the Amphitheatre area. Below are new things and all about Kamla nehru park face lift.
New Things Inside Park
- Entrance beautified with a brand new pond inside. Fountain near entry gate with variety of fishes and lily flowers welcoming the citizens and tourists around the world.
- Addition of drinking water fountain inside along with a new theme based fish pond that goes with a old hindi movie song ‘Machli Jal Ki Rani Hai’.
- Iconic Ashoka pillar also got a new facelift look. Flowers be arranged below Ashoka pillar which resembles our national flag.
- Talking about the main kids attraction, The old Lady shoe (Boot House), got a brand new canvas style color with no structural changes (Just repairs as required).
- An Amphitheatre is now focused on playing kids songs specially from Kindergarten poems that will give a perfect feel of children park of Mumbai.
- A brand new open space called ‘viewing gallery’ with more space with binoculars installed to have a perfect clear looks of Chowpatty beach & the marine lines queen’s necklace.
- Few new sprinklers in the green lawn area spreads ample water to maintain the greenery and save lots of manual work done before.
- A really good step, A brand new foot over bridge that will connect adjacent Hanging garden so that visitors will not need to cross road with kids.
Address, Entry Fee, Timings
Address : Dadi Sheth Wadi, Malabar Hill, South Mumbai, Nearest Railway Station being Charni Road in western railway Route.
How to Reach : Taxi from Charni Road Railway Station (West), Western railway Route.
Park Timings : 5:00 Am to 9:00 Pm, all 7 days (i.e Sunday open).
Entry Fees / Charges : Free.
Car parking : Road side, Outside Park.
More Parks and Places to See Near
- Priyadarshini park : 10 to 12 Minutes driving distance from Kamla Nehru Park is this famous Priyadarshini park and Sports complex at distance of just 1.2 Km which is another beautiful garden location for adults and children.
- Jain temple of Walkeshwar (Malabar Hill,Mumbai). In the same vicinity, For those interested in ancient art work, spirituality and temples.
- Banganga Water Tank. In same area is this heritage sacred water tank which one should not miss.
- Parsi Tower of Silence (For your information) is next to Hanging garden, But it is not a Tourist attractions and entry is restricted to parsi community only.
- Babulnath (Old Shiva temple) : Walk down the Malabar hills back towards chowpatty beach and a very old and famous Shiva temple is what you should visit once.
It is one of the oldest and has still retained the original structures and looks since decades. Once also famous for many bollywood film shooting. Girgaum Beach is another famous beach known for Ganesh Festival Visarjan.
- Taraporewala Aquarium: Exactly opposite the beach is this fish aquarium, which was renovated few years back.
If already visited, One must spend some time along the coastal of south Mumbai, famously called ‘Marine Lines’ and Nariman Point Promenade which is a peaceful sea shore with glowing street lights of the famously called ‘Queens Necklace‘.
More Parks in Mumbai & Suburban
- Sagar Upvan : Also called BPT (Bombay / Mumbai Port Trust) garden is located at Colaba, 8 Kilometres which takes about 28 minutes towards south (Take Chowpatty Promenade Route) is a botanical garden with blissful experience.
- Pramod Mahajan Garden Kala Park : Located at Dadar (South Mumbai), 30 minutes driving distance from Kamla Nehru Park at about 9 Kilometres distance is this park known for its plantation and flowers.
- Nirvana Park : A beautifully maintained park with lush greenery, pond and fishes located at Powai, Hiranandani Garden township at suburban location, North of Mumbai. 1 hour 30 minutes driving distance, at about 35 Kilometres.
- Mumbai’s National Park : Asia’s one of the biggest forest park with wild animals, flora fauna, old caves and everything one can expect in Jungle with playing area, streams and safari options. 1 hour 50 Minutes driving distance ahead on Nirvana park on Main Highway Route.